Windows 10 Major errors after update

Ok so yesterday Windows forced an update on me, which seemed normal. It took an awful long time to update as usual but finally it was done. Important to know is that I use a touchscreen laptop, not a pc.

After my pc restarted I noticed something weird, my keyboard stopped working, but that happened more often, and I figured shutting down and booting again would fix it like usual. It didn't for once. I thought: ok, maybe I need to log in first, so it can finish to update. I tried doing that using on-screen keyboard, but I already had trouble launching it because the options froze when I tapped them. When I finally managed to fill in my password, it said 'please wait' under my user name, and thought it would be fine, but than, to my absolute horror, 'unknown hard error' fom explorer.exe popped up. When I came on my home screen everything seemed fine at first, everything loaded in fine, but I saw both audio and wifi where not working. I tried opening the windows tab (idk what to call it) to shut my laptop down again, but it didn't work. Just like search, and settings.

It seems some of my drivers are disabled or broken. I found out my keyboard doesn't work for typing, but I can use it to change brightness with fn + f1/f2. Is got into my laptop three more times, twice with 'unknow hard error' from sihost.exe (black screen after clicking 'ok'), and once with no error message.

I'm going to backup my schoolwork onto our pc but I'd still like my laptop fixed without having to reinstall windows

EDIT: I just noticed that file's started getting ntsf compression, and I saw this on the drivers folder too (double blue arrows), I can't see if this has happened to the zip files but might this be the problem?

Last edited:
The compression shouldn't be the issue... sounds like the update went horribly wrong somewhere. I'd suggest using the Windows Media Creation Tool to either download and burn an ISO file to reinstall Windows from, or create a USB stick. Don't boot from the media, get back into your desktop and run Setup.exe and let it "upgrade" your installation and choose the option to keep your Documents & Applications.

I would backup your data first if it is possible!

Thank you, I was proably going to try this eventually but you made me try it sooner and it worked, the update is now functioning properly now. My keyboard is still not working right but that isn't caused by the update since it was already there before, and I should be able to find a fix online.

Back in I think version 1709 some AMD based computers had issues with the USB controller driver, but I have not heard of it in the last few updates. If the computer has PS2 maybe your in luck and can remove the USB controller from device manager and force it to reinstall...

Back