Make Use OF posted a must read malware removal guide

I would add autoruns.exe to that list, HijackThis if you still use IE and GMer.exe a very good rootkit removal tool.

Yeah that was a pretty good guide. I actually emailed it to some of friends that aren't up on PC security.

Good looking out!

Good article definitely. I read one on WindowsBBS a few years ago. There's one tool this article didn't mention at's worth running last ZHPCleaner. ZHPCleaner link : ZHPCleaner

Definitely. New protection pop's up all the time, especially lately.
Now, there's even software and browser extensions that protect against web mining.
Browser Extension: No Coin - Work's in Chrome, Firefox and Opera (with extension to allow Chrome extensions in Opera).
Software: Anti- WebMiner GitHub - greatis/Anti-WebMiner: Anti-WebMiner protects your PC against web cryptocurrency miners (JS scripts like Coinhive executed in the browser) by modifying Windows hosts file
No Coin Chrome/Opera:
No Coin - Block miners on the web!
No Coin Firefox:
No Coin – Add-ons for Firefox

Last edited:
Ah yeah a couple weeks ago I heard about some websites having code on their sites that used your computer to mine bit coin haha, pretty ingenius I have to say.

I'm not really worried about it thought at this point as most of the sites I visit don't do stuff like that.

However, I wonder if NoScript would protect you from that because well it's blocking scripts?

NoScript probably doesn't block it and if it does it only works in the browsers it installs on. Chrome, Firefox and Opera. No for IE or Edge,
Anti-WebMiner is the only one that works in all of them, as it's not a add-on, it's software like your av is.

Hm, interesting. That might have to be a feature that'll be included in future AVs and in operating systems. Pretty crazy how the threats have evolved and come out of left field since the old Windows 95 days lol.

Yeah, nothing's safe anymore. I'm surprised there's no No Coin extension for Edge.
Then again I don't think I'll ever be a heavy Edge user. Firefox, Opera & Chrome all suit me fine.
Actually Firefox Quantum (57) is fast again and it's only still missing one extension that I've always used in it.
Click&Clean is the only no-show so far.

Webroot blocks it.
I haven't used Webroot since Vista or 7, when they first added ant-virus protection to SpySweeper.

@brkkab if you really want a great analysis of the VPNs out there check out That One Privacy Site | VPN Section
I've been using Private Internet Access for a couple years now and love it. With a subscription you can use it on your computer, phone, and tablet.
I highly recommend a VPN on the level of having some AV software.

I'll have to check that out.
Right now, I guess I'm hitting my busy time medical wise.
That and I have a new weird issue lately with my diabetes going on.
I'm trying to see if it's o.k., so I can wait until after New Year's and let it's e.r. visit take care of my medicare deductible.
It's been acting up more lately, though, so it's questionable on if I want to wait.
Every e.r. visit for me, is usually $5,000.00+ thanks to the diabetes, so my $1,00o.oo deductible will be out of the way January 2nd, if I'm lucky.

.....Right now, I guess I'm hitting my busy time medical wise.
That and I have a new weird issue lately with my diabetes going on.
I'm trying to see if it's o.k., so I can wait until after New Year's and let it's e.r. visit take care of my medicare deductible.
It's been acting up more lately, though, so it's questionable on if I want to wait.
Every e.r. visit for me, is usually $5,000.00+ thanks to the diabetes, so my $1,00o.oo deductible will be out of the way January 2nd, if I'm lucky.
I wish you all the luck and strenght! Please keep us informed.

VPN's only provide security for data in transit they don't provide any protection against malware or other threats.

Back