Windows 8 Make Windows 8 look like Windows 7?

lostsoul65

I have worked with Windows 8 and have studied it for at least a hundred hours and I can say I really dislike this OS. I look on the web about making it look like Windows 7 and there are a lot and I mean a lot of programs to download and I don't trust any of them. so has anyone had any luck with making your Windows 8 look like Windows 7 and if so could you tell me how you did it?

Most straight forward way is to Download and install Classic Start:

http://www.classicstart8.com/

Work through the options, and make sure to select the option to bypass the Windows 8 Start. You will find that option under the "Windows 8 settings" tab.

Restart your computer and enjoy a slightly improved Windows 7.

I use both Classic Shell on my wife's PC and Start8 (free version) on my PC. Both work very well and allow you to boot directly to the desktop and disable the hot corners on the desktop. Both also allow you to choose how to go to the Win 8 Style Start Screen.

Also my tutorial here does give some tips on customizing Win 8. You really cannot tell whether you are on Win 7 or Win 8 on my PC.

Win7Desktop.jpg

Win8desktop.jpg

Can you easily tell which is which?

Last edited by a moderator:
For a definitive way to go with alternate desktop themes, and not just a restoration of the Start Menu, there is WindowBlinds from the ObjectDesktop suite by Stardock. It is by no means without flaw, and has occasionally plagued users in other operating systems over the years. However, the customize themes created by people, including a return of most transparency features, should be enough for anyone to get used to a "new look" for the Windows 8 desktop: WindowBlinds - Theme Windows Interface

Hi

I vote for Classic Shell, I've been using it for a year and the new version even has a menu for apps so you aren't giving up anything.
But it works just like Windows 7 or XP if you want it to.

I still use what is basically the Windows XP interface that displays all my installed software at the same time in folders and columns.

Mike

I have been playing with, and enjoying, Classic as an alternative.
But, a couple of weeks ago I discovered "StartisBack". This gem has all the customisation of Classic, but is an almost perfect replica of the Windows 7 Start menu.

StartIsBack - real start menu in Windows 8

Last edited by a moderator:
Back