Malwarebytes (free) Question

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
I run occasional manual scans with Malewarebytes (free version). While on the Web, I got a pop up today from Malwarebytes telling me it had caught one malware. It found a Trojan (DNS changer) on my computer and I immediately quarantined it. I thought the free version had to be used manually. Evidently, it caught the Trojan without any input from me. Does this mean the free version performs occasional scans on its own?

I thought the free version had to be used manually.
Yes....to run the free version you have to manually start it.

Evidently, it caught the Trojan without any input from me.
Did you start it and in doing so it found the culprit?

Does this mean the free version performs occasional scans on its own?
No....unless you are running the trial version.
This happens a lot. There has been some changes in the way mlawarbytes installs the trial version now and it's been this way for some time now. When you install malwarebytes, the free version, it installs the trial version automatically. It does no harm to the system doing this. When going through the install process, you have to go through slowly and thoroughly. There's a box to untick, if you don't it installs the trial period. Malwarebytes just moved it around to where the avg user just skips right over it. After the 14 days the trail is over and you're on the free version and have to manually run the software.

Can you post a screen shot of your malwarebytes software open on it's home page.

Back