Windows 7 mapping a xp server drive to a virtual pc xpmode client

auditorp

my dos application is installed in the c: of a xp server.
my client is a win7-64 running virtual pc xp mode.
can i map the c: of the xp server to the win7-64 virtual pc xp mode client.
i.e. i want the full c: of the server to be mapped as z: in the win7-64 virtual pc xp mode.
(to map, should i have similar workgroup names for the xp server & win7-64 xp mode)
also, can the dos application in the xp server run in the win7-64 virtual pc xp mode by clicking on an icon calling that dos application (z:\accounts\books.exe)

Solution
To map the C: drive of the XP server to the Win7-64 Virtual PC XP Mode client as drive Z:, you can follow these steps:
1. Prepare Workgroup Names:
- Having similar workgroup names for both the XP server and Win7-64 XP Mode is not necessary for mapping drives. Workgroup names are used for networking and don't directly impact drive mapping.
2. Map the Drive:
- You can map the C: drive of the XP server to the Win7-64 Virtual PC XP Mode as drive Z: by using the "Map Network Drive" feature in Windows.
- Open "My Computer" or "This PC" on the Win7-64 XP Mode.
- Click on "Map Network Drive" in the toolbar.
- Choose a drive letter (Z: in your case), and for the folder, enter the path to the shared C: drive on the XP...
To map the C: drive of the XP server to the Win7-64 Virtual PC XP Mode client as drive Z:, you can follow these steps:
1. Prepare Workgroup Names:
- Having similar workgroup names for both the XP server and Win7-64 XP Mode is not necessary for mapping drives. Workgroup names are used for networking and don't directly impact drive mapping.
2. Map the Drive:
- You can map the C: drive of the XP server to the Win7-64 Virtual PC XP Mode as drive Z: by using the "Map Network Drive" feature in Windows.
- Open "My Computer" or "This PC" on the Win7-64 XP Mode.
- Click on "Map Network Drive" in the toolbar.
- Choose a drive letter (Z: in your case), and for the folder, enter the path to the shared C: drive on the XP server (e.g., \\XP_Server\C$).
- Check the box for "Reconnect at logon" if you want the drive to be mapped every time you start the virtual machine.
3. Accessing the DOS Application:
- Once the drive is mapped successfully, you can access the DOS application located on the XP server from the Win7-64 XP Mode by navigating to Z:\accounts\books.exe.
- You can create a shortcut on the Win7-64 desktop or in the Start menu pointing to Z:\accounts\books.exe for easier access.
- Double-clicking on this shortcut will launch the DOS application from the mapped drive location.
By mapping the drive in this way, you create a direct link between the XP server's C: drive and the Win7-64 XP Mode client, allowing you to run the DOS application seamlessly from the mapped drive location. Remember to ensure that proper sharing and permissions are set on the XP server to allow access from the Win7-64 XP Mode client.

Solution
Back