Windows 7 Mapping from Win7 64-bit to WinXP Pro - No Logon Servers Available

Dadda

Guys,

I've recently changed my home computer over from WinXP to Win7. On my WinXP system, I had a permanently mapped drive to my "My Documents" directory on my work laptop (WinXP Pro). Once I had plugged my laptop into my home network (and powered it up of course), all I would need to do on my home WinXP machine is click on the mapped drive in Explorer, and authenicate with a username and password. I had created a user on the laptop called "Test" with a password called "Testing". I was then able to run a Robycopy script to backup my laptop docs to my WinXP machine.

Now that I have Win7 Pro 64-bit on my home computer, I am having some difficulties. Something which may be related is that at the same time that I installed Win7, I also purchased a Thecus N2200 NAS box which currently doesn't allow the domain to be changed. Therefore, I believe my Win7 computer is also set to be in the default "workgroup" domain (I can't seem to find the domain setting in Win7)

My Laptop domain is set to something different as it's a work laptop and I need it to be able to connect with work's network, so I don't want to change any settings on it. Also the only thing that's changed is my home computer, changing OS from XP to 7,

Anyway, when I ask to create a mapped drive, I enter the following:

\\MAXS_LAPTOP\Laptop_Docs

I select the "Reconnect at Logon" and "Connect using different credentials". I click finish and then on the next dialogue box I enter:

[email protected]
Testing (as the password)

When I click ok, I get a message saying:

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

Could someone please give me some pointers as to what to try.

I've gone into the Advanced Sharing Settings under "Network and Sharing Centre" on the Win7 computer and have made the following changes after following suggestions in other threads:

I've removed myself from the Homegroup as I believe that if you are in a Homegroup then all the computers need to be under the same domain.

Under "Home or Work (current profile)" I've:

- Turned on Network Discovery
- Turned on file and print sharing
- Turned on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders.
- Media streaming is off.
- enabled file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56- bit encryption
- Turned off password protected sharing
- Changed HomeGroup connections to "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers"

Under "Public" I've:

- Turned on network discovery
- Turned on File and Printer Sharing
- Turned on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders.
- Enabled file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56- bit encryption
- Turned off password protected sharing

On my laptop, if I go to "My Network Places" --> Entire Network --> "Microsoft Windows Network", I see the following:

- NECAU
|_ Maxs_laptop (This is my work's WinXP Pro Laptop)
- Workgroup
|_ N2200 (This is the Thecus N2200 NAS Box)
|_ Office (This is the Win7 Pro 64 Bit Home PC I'm trying to create a mapped drive on)
|_ WinXP (This is an old computer I've am installing WinXP on
so my wife and daughter won't install games on my new Win7 PC)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

++ EDIT ++

Guys, I've solved it. My problem was when I was entering the username and password. I was getting confused between the laptop name and it's domain.

Where I was entering:

[email protected]
Testing (as the password)

I should have been entering:
MAXS_LAPTOP\Test
Testing

All working ok now.

Last edited:
Back