Windows 7 UPGRADE FROM WIN7-32 BIT OEM TO WIN7 64-BIT POSSIBLE???

keerth

have a doubt... i have got a new laptop...
config
i5-second generation..
6 gb ram
1 gb graphics card

the vendor game me orginal win7 oem win home basic 7 sp1 32 bit os...

he gave me only win7 32 bit oem DVD along with it....
he installed the same in my laptop...

but i need win7 64 bit for my computations...

can i reformat my drive and use the same win 7 32 bit key for the activation of win7 64 bit

Thanks in advance...

1st you have to make sure the machine will suport x64. If, it does, you can try using that key but, when you go to Activate you may (probably will) need to phone in to Microsoft & explain the scenario to get a new Activation #.

Ah, wait a minute... you have to use the key that goes w/ the x64 disc, then call MS to Activate. The x86 key will say it doesn't match the x64 SKU

Drew

Last edited:
1st you have to make sure the machine will suport x64. If, it does, you can try using that key but, when you go to Activate you may (probably will) need to phone in to Microsoft & explain the scenario to get a new Activation #.

Ah, wait a minute... you have to use the key that goes w/ the x64 disc, then call MS to Activate. The x86 key will say it doesn't match the x64 SKU

Drew

Short answer NO. The 32 Bit key will not activate the 64 Bit Windows 7. The OEM edition of Windows only includes 32 Bit OR 64 Bit. I suspect this is what you have. The Retail version of Win 7 includes both 32 Bit and 64 Bit disks, although only one OR the other can be activated at once.

Back