Windows 10 McAfee or Windows 10 antivirus

Barry

I have recently upgraded my new ( 1 year old) laptop from Windows 8 to 10. The laptop came with a free trial McAfee antivirus package. I paid for a year extension to this and am due in a months time to pay for another years protection. However I am wondering if using Windows 10 whether I can use the built in software instead.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Barry

Many knock it but I've always relied happily on Windows Defender. I run Malwarebytes regularly to see if anything hs crept in and never yet found a problem.

I use the same method as Pat above.
Windows 10 Defender is almost a straight copy of Microsoft's server security applications and is much improved. It's still not the best though which is why I run Malwarebytes Premium alongside.
Like Pat I've never had an issue :)

This article is a pretty good review:
What’s the Best Antivirus for Windows 10? (Is Windows Defender Good Enough?)

One last thing, I'm careful on what I click on or download. Using sound surfing practices definitively helps in this regard.

Last edited:
In my computer repair business, I am still getting W10 computers with all kinds of bad viruses when their Owner's completely rely on Windows Defender alone.o_O If they add a good antispyware program such as Malwarebytes (mentioned twice above), I still get infected computers. Some customers have tried SuperAntiSpyware, another well-rated program; but those programs together don't stop everything.:down: Of course it's up to you; but the old saw "you get what you pay for", really applies to AV programs!;)

I disagree with both of my esteemed colleagues on this issue; I've been seeing this occur for the last 20 years ever since Microsoft decided to include an AV program built-in to Windows. So, regardless of what you read on the Internet or hear from friends, colleagues, family members, or co-workers: don't believe it!:noway: If you talk with any good Computer Tech who owns his own business and has been in business for at least 15 years; they will tell you the same thing.

I'll tell you what I tell my Customers; since viruses and malware really started being a threat to the average home computer user back in 2003 (14 years ago), I since developed my own formula and never ever rely on WD (Windows Defender) or the older MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). Here is what I install on every computer *except a few* I touch, repair, or install:

1.) Avast AV Free or Paid 2016
2.) Malwarebytes Free*
3.) TrendMicro HouseCall online scanner*
4.) TrendMicro RooKitBuster*
5.) TrendMicro RUBotted*
6.) TrendMicro Browser Guard (Avast SafeBrowse can be substituted for this in W10)*
* These are Backstop protection and do not replace or interfere with the Primary AV program, either Avast or Norton.

I have several other Computer techs who own their own businesses have variations on this theme; but virtually every one of them no longer relies on Microsoft WD or MSE to protect their Customer's computers or their own for that matter.

Bear in mind, one of my long time hobbies is building computers that attract viruses so I can figure out how to block them and keep them out of my own computers as well as my Customer's computers. In other words, I collect them and then report and send them to the major AV companies. This includes F-Prot, Symantec-Norton, NAI-McAfee, and Avast primarily. So for me it's vital that I protect my computers and those of my Customer's from the Internet scourge of viruses/malware. I typically have a 98% non-return rate with my AV protection formulation above using the free Avast version (less than 2% return rate due to infection), and a 99% non-return rate (less than 1% return rate due to infection) with the same formulation using one of the Avast paid versions (either Internet Security or Premiere) or substituting Norton Security Deluxe (used to be Norton Internet Security).

These numbers are based on my own customer-base of about 250 customers in my location. Each Tech or Repair Shop Owner will have different numbers, so they are only subject to what I'm telling you. You can choose to believe or not.:andwhat:

I can also tell you that I've repaired, upgraded, and installed about 2 dozen W10 computers since they became available to buy in stores back on July 29th 2015, and these same infection-rate numbers apply. Most of these Customers have had earlier versions of Windows going back to W98 or W95 and had relied on using Microsoft's built-in AV protection programs; and in just about every case, they had gotten infected by 1 or more nasty viruses to the point where their computers became unuseable and had to get them professionally repaired. My take on this, is that W10 Defender is not much improved over their earlier versions of AV protection. This is not just 1 or 2 computers that I own that have never gotten a virus using Defender or Defender+Malwarebytes; but many W10 computers; desktops & laptops made by several different makers (Dell, Acer, Gateway, ASUS, Lenovo, Samsung, and Toshiba). I have published an earlier version of this protection formula on this forum and other forums, but this is my latest and best combination. I've delayed publishing it as I wanted to make sure it was performing solidly on W10.;)

Once again, to be clear, this is only MY opinion and does not represent the official opinion of Windows Forum at all. Whichever protection method you choose, best of luck to you!:eagerness:

Hope this proves insightful for you.
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>> :lightbulb:

Last edited:
Just shows how different experiences can be... I too build my own machines although:

I wouldn't dream of touching Norton nor would most enthusiast/gamer's.

Many of the AV apps you mention I often find are the cause of blue screens I debug especially Avast and Trend Micro.

I guess it's worth taking the time to see what's out there and what works best for you and your set up

Deciding what AV product to install on your PC is like playing the kids game "King of the Hill" with a new king being names all the time but I certainly wouldn't go with just Windows Defender either. I did some research a few months ago as I wanted to switch AV products on my laptop and opted to go with Bitdefender Internet Security for 2017. I'm pretty happy with the fact that it's basically a turn key operation as all you have to do is install it and your good to go as it takes care of everything so I don't have to mess with it. Others like other AV flavors for whatever reason and like I said, one will be king now and in 6 months there will be a new King. Here's a recent PC Magazine article from 2017 you can read which may help you decide.

The Best Antivirus Protection of 2017

Hi

I've used Windows Defender along with Malwarebytes Pro, and the free version of SuperAntiSpyware for years on a number of computers and I've never had any kind of intrusion other then some PUPs (usually picked up because I didn't read what I was downloading carefully) and Tracking Cookies.

I personally don't like McAfee, it always seems to impact performance when ever I've tried it, (also comes as a free program with my Comcast internet) and it's almost as hard as a virus to get rid of when you want to remove it.

I do recommend Malwarebytes Pro, I have it on 3 computers for one fee, and it does actively block things that it finds on a fairly regular basis.

In all honesty I can't remember the last time that I saw Windows Defender detect anything but my computers are staying clean somehow, and as I said I've used this setup for at least 10 years without problems.

What I do recommend is that everyone make a System Image file of their C:\ drive and keep it up to date.

I use EaseUS Todo backup Free version, and I make a new image and replace the old one every month or so, or after making major changes to my PC.

I also keep the previous one and delete the oldest.

This is the surest way to be sure you can recover from any situation quickly and without a lot of hassle.

Mike

Last edited:
@kemical: Some good points you made there!:) I haven't made a self-built PC from parts for 20 years; and almost all my customers use OEM name brand computers (Dell, Acer, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba), so that could also account for some of the differences. (though I'm in the process of building a self-built PC with my Son this year). And I don't do Gaming due to some weird vertigo I get when doing it about 8 yrs. ago. :vomit: It's interesting that on machines that have had Windows reset or completely reinstalled, I don't see the kinds of Blue Screens you often see on the self-built and custom-built machines that OP's often post here.:andwhat: I follow your debug analysis with great interest, there and it certainly seems to help get rid of problems in that arena. Makes sense to eliminate ALL 3rd party AV's while troubleshooting troublesome or misbehaving driver or app.:D That sort of approach is what makes this forum so good.:) Thanks for acknowledging that my AV security formulation works for some (my Customers and I). I also like reading what other forum Users have used successfully in their computers or repair Techs who use a different setup from mine with their Business Customers.:polite:

@moodoggy: Some good points you made with your "King of the Hill" analogy. However, I challenge you to come up with a formulation using any of the other products mentioned in that article that can produce a lower infection rate than I have! I've used most of those, as I indicated over the many years of building and repairing computers, and could never reproduce my current results. Some of these will change positions as who is #1 like you said; but most of those articles are from Tech writers who rarely visit a real independent testing lab such as here:
AV-TEST – The Independent IT-Security Institute
So, the deal here is what actually works for you? And what works for a statistically significant number of Customer machines that provides the lowest overall infection rate? In my case <2% with all free AV programs, and <1% with paid AV programs.
Indeed what works for one person's computer may not work on another person's computer. A lot has to do with the installation process. Many Users today HATE having to rebuild a computer with a Windows reset or Windows reinstallation due to the time and pain involved of reinstalling all their lost programs, data files, desktop settings, shortcuts, etc. etc. In many cases, my Customers will download as many as a dozen AV free fixit programs, whatever pops up on their computers, or what they can google for free and they are not aware of the spyware contained in most of those legit AV products because they are lazy and don't take the time to download them directly from the manufacture's website!:noway::pirate:
Good input, thanks.

@MikeHawthorne:
Valuable information on making Backup Image files as always, Mike. EASE Todo is certainly a good program for W7 as well as W8x/W10 too. I've just begun using it and it works very well. Thanks for mentioning that. ;)

<<<<BBJ>>>>

" Many Users today HATE having to rebuild a computer with a Windows reset or Windows reinstallation due to the time and pain involved of reinstalling all their lost programs, data files, desktop settings, shortcuts, etc. "

honestly, bigbearjedi … thing i hate worst(reset, repair, reinstall) would be going through the amalgamation/plethora of microsoft updates. sitting there … chewing on the bleeding fingernails … hoping, this one time, windows updates will successfully "execute/co-exist".

as well … there's uninstalling all the crapware that arrives with the machine in first place … "which drivers are gonna' become corrupt?" … and "how many bsod's should i endure this time?" … and "where the heck s'my pepperoni-lovers pizza?"

i also subscribe to moondoggy's mantra 'n dogma (pun intended) as well … "who will the new kids on the block be next month … or two years from now?" veritably, they(corporate entities) all seem to harbor symptoms manifested from gigantism … "we are no longer going to listen to the loyal customers who made us great in the first place … rather, we are going to feed 'em to the jackals. hence, our new forté model is based upon invasive marketing … as well as out-sourcing 'cookie-cutter' resolutions" . here's my one-finger salute, avg.

d'oh!

honestly, bigbearjedi … thing i hate worst(reset, repair, reinstall) would be going through the amalgamation/plethora of microsoft updates. sitting there … chewing on the bleeding fingernails … hoping, this one time, windows updates will successfully "execute/co-exist".

This is what keeps my so diligent about keeping my System Image File up to date.
The thought of what it takes to reinstall everything is enough to make me stick to my routine of making a new image file at least once a month.

To do a complete reinstall would take me several days.

No matter what happens I know that I can have everything up and running in about 22 minutes.

I have had to use my image file about 12 times since I started beta testing Windows 10, and I think twice since I upgraded to the final version.

In Windows 7 it was possible to reinstall Windows while retaining all of your software, and files though you lost Windows settings and it opened like a new install, but your software would in most cases still run.

(I've read that there is a workaround to do this in 10 but have never tried it.

I really think that they should have a restore option like that in Windows 10, at least as an option.
You could always do a reset later if it didn't solve your problem, but it would beat having to reinstall all your games and software.

I'm afraid that Microsoft is only worried about people who run their apps, not those who run other peoples software.

Mike

A clean install takes around 10 minutes followed by a couple of hours of driver installation as well as tweaking Windows to the way I like it running.

I keep a copy of everything on a spare drive so do not have to search for drivers or updates.

I never ever use an app to go find drivers as that is simply inviting trouble..

I have used Windows Defender for the last year and have had no problems. I do use Malewarebytes from time to time. So far no problems. I also keep a full system back on an external drive as my safety net if something should happen.

dunno' how many of you hold pcmag.com dear to you … but their opinion of windows-defender is quite low:
Think Windows's Built-In Antivirus Will Keep You Safe? You're Wrong
>>>Jack: didn't need to read this article; as I've been saying this for years!:ahaha: But, thanks for posting as often end users do not believe me when I tell them WD is just not going to cut it. Especially, if you are a User that frequently visits "questionable" websites!! Thanks for posting regardless.
You know what they say, right? If you think you are being chased, you are probably paranoid--if you get chased and caught, your just Crazy!:confused:<<<

BBJ :brew:

I have been using Windows Defender with my Windows 10 laptop for more than one year, scanning and updating regularly. It is working fine without any major issue...

An AV is only as good as the driver behind the keyboard. Do bad things bad stuff will happen, don't due your due diligence with emails bad things happen, etc.

Back
Top Bottom