Windows 8 Media file Tag Data not appearing in Windows Explorer

martienne

Hi all! I recently installed Windows 8.
I noticed that at some point the media tags stopped displaying in Windows Explorer for media files such as mp3 and m4b. I am talking about such tags as "title" , "bitrate" and "length" for audio files, for example.
Previously this data always displayed for the same files.

This affects my collection of Music and Audio books which I am doing some housekeeping with. I can't sort mp3 and m4b them according to the tags that had been set in iTunes or mp3 tagger.

This has always worked previously and the tags have displayed fine.

I am using the "Detailed" viewing mode in Windows Explorer, but it is just empty in the columns where the tag should be, even for files which I know are tagged, and where the tag displayed previously, in Windows Explorer.

Here is what I found after googling this, and following the advice:

• I ran sfc /scannow, but this did not solve the problem.
  • I tried installing a shell extension called AudioShell135.exe which supposedly fixes problems with this, but it does not work for 64 bit OS.
  • I read that a DLL called shmedia.dll is responsible for this functionality. Apparently some people re-registered this wisuccess when they had this problem. I did that, but it did not help either.

Could this be a regression in Win 8 or can others see the tag data for their mp3 files?

Any idea what could be wrong, or how I fix it?
I don't know what else to try and re-installing the OS is out of the question.

Hope someone can help !

If you right click the blank area to the right of the title bar you get many options.

FileTags.jpg

Hi all! I recently installed Windows 8.
I noticed that at some point the media tags stopped displaying in Windows Explorer for media files such as mp3 and m4b. I am talking about such tags as "title" , "bitrate" and "length" for audio files, for example.
Previously this data always displayed for the same files.

This affects my collection of Music and Audio books which I am doing some housekeeping with. I can't sort mp3 and m4b them according to the tags that had been set in iTunes or mp3 tagger.

This has always worked previously and the tags have displayed fine.

I am using the "Detailed" viewing mode in Windows Explorer, but it is just empty in the columns where the tag should be, even for files which I know are tagged, and where the tag displayed previously, in Windows Explorer.

Here is what I found after googling this, and following the advice:

• I ran sfc /scannow, but this did not solve the problem.
  • I tried installing a shell extension called AudioShell135.exe which supposedly fixes problems with this, but it does not work for 64 bit OS.
  • I read that a DLL called shmedia.dll is responsible for this functionality. Apparently some people re-registered this wisuccess when they had this problem. I did that, but it did not help either.

Could this be a regression in Win 8 or can others see the tag data for their mp3 files?

Any idea what could be wrong, or how I fix it?
I don't know what else to try and re-installing the OS is out of the question.

Hope someone can help !

If you can remember roughly when this first happened then a System restore might help. Even if you can't remember it still might be worth returning to an earlier time?

If you right click the blank area to the right of the title bar you get many options.

I just want to clarify that the columns are visible, this is not the problem.
Please see screenshot. In the column with a red square is where I'd expect to see the tag properties, as the files in question DEFINITELY have tags.

testdc.jpg

If you can remember roughly when this first happened then a System restore might help. Even if you can't remember it still might be worth returning to an earlier time?

I haven't actively set up any backups yet, and even if I had, I'd be reluctant to use it since I've just installed tons of applications and tweaked the machine. I don't want to to have to re-do that.

I'll check whether Windows has done some voodoo that I'm not aware of, and already taken a backup or restore point, but I don't have high hopes.

I'm thinking that something's happened to switch off the tags in Windows explorer and there's got to be a way to undo that.

The system restore is automatic unless you disabled it. I notice you say that you just installed 'tons of applications' and 'tweaked the machine'. Have you installed something that might clash say two media players for example? I know they don't all clash with each other but still. I would certainly go over your tweaks, check the event logs, maybe even try the system file checker?

Hi Kemical, yes - it is certainly a possibility that one of the apps I installed messed up the settings. But I wouldn't know which one, or how to undo it. Basically my take is that if it can be modified to stop working by an app, then it can also be modified to start working again, if one knows what setting, switch or whatever does it. I'd guess a dll being replaced by another version, or a registry change.

I just don't know what I am looking for....

Well, what did you install? Anything relating to media files at all? I'm also pretty sure you'll have a system restore point to go back to and indeed this is probably, other than finding the app which is causing the issue, your best chance of recovery without having to re-install....

Is the folder you show designated as a music folder or in the Music Library folder? Does it say Music Tools, highlighted in Yellow above the menu bar you show, as it is in Medicted60 attachment?

Is the folder you show designated as a music folder or in the Music Library folder? Does it say Music Tools, highlighted in Yellow above the menu bar you show, as it is in Medicted60 attachment?
Yes it does. The columns for the tags are displayed anyway.

I've never used the restore point functionality in Windows.
Do I lose the software that I have installed, if I do it?
Do you know any good guide about how to use it?

Back