Windows 7 Memory upgrade, BSOD whenever updates are installed ..

aasoror

Memory upgrade, BSOD whenever Windows updates are installed ..

I have recently added 2x2GB memory modules (G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT) to my desktop.

I have noticed once the system is up and running 4x2GB total, I get a BSOD on the first reboot (just past the Win 7 waving logo, right before the login screen) after every windows system update.

My recovery procedure was to reboot in safe mode and restore to a point prior to the update. The problem is it didn't turn out to be related to a certain update, but to the fact that system update has installed "any update" (even those not requiring a restart).

Once running (after system restore), my desktop is running worry free (with the 8GB) for as long as it takes, through multiple "sleep" and "wake up" and also reboots, no problem whatsoever.

In hope to solve this problem I upgraded to the latest motherboard BIOS (GA-MA78GM-US2H (rev. 1.0) ).

The 8GB of RAM passed memtest86+ without a problem.

Not sure if its a problem with compatibility because removing the two modules (any pair of them, old kensington or new G.SKILL) resolves the issue immediately.

Yesterday for some reason recovery isn't seeing my restore points, its wrongfully saying "Windows 7 on D: " which might explain why it can't find any restore points (Windows is installed on C: ). My solution right now is to keep rebooting and crashing till it startup normally.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Link Removed due to 404 Error is the output of running the SF Diagnostic Tool as well as CPU-Z screen shots (memory screen and SPD screen for each memory slot).

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Re: Memory upgrade, BSOD whenever Windows updates are installed ..

Not sure if its a problem with compatibility because removing the two modules (any pair of them, old kensington or new G.SKILL) resolves the issue immediately.
Thanks again.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Your ram should all be of the same make, model, timings etc. etc..

aasoror's CPU-Z tabs:
Link Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Your ram should all be of the same make, model, timings etc. etc..
Thanks for your reply,
While I know its recommended, I don't see this causing much trouble, after all as per the motherboard manufacturer recommendation (in the manual) each pair of slots (running in dual channel mode) has identical sticks.

When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used and installed in the same colored DDR2 sockets for optimum performance.

Also as I mentioned, memtest runs fine for as long as needed with all 4 sticks installed, not to mention there is not a single instability issue once you are past that login screen.

Additionally, I am sorry for missing to mention that earlier, the desktop reboots and runs fine with any 3 sticks installed (6GB).

Last edited:

RAM is the culprit here. The OP's got 2 Kingston's and 2 GSkil'sl - the rated specs being not the same for each.

Use either G.Skill or Kingston, remove the other 2 sticks, and then load optimized defaults in the bios.

Enjoy. : )

Last edited:

RAM is the culprit here. The OP's got 2 Kingston's and 2 GSkil'sl - the rated specs being not the same for each.

Use either G.Skill or Kingston, remove the other 2 sticks, and then load optimized defaults in the bios.

Enjoy. : )

Thank you so much for your feedback,
Should this enable me to run the 4 sticks after loading BIOS optimized default ? because system has no problem running 2 or 3 (mixed) sticks (with current BIOS settings). With 4 sticks, each matching two are running in dual channel model.
Thanks,

Thank you so much for your feedback,
Should this enable me to run the 4 sticks after loading BIOS optimized default ?

No, the point is your G.Skill sticks require settings different from those of Kingston. Thus, GSkill+Kingston is a problematic combo and therefore you should use either pair but not both.

No, the point is your G.Skill sticks require settings different from those of Kingston. Thus, GSkill+Kingston is a problematic combo and therefore you should use either pair but not both.

Thanks for the follow up, I thought the motherboard should be able to deal with this (using lower timing settings for all the sticks). Can't you explicitly force the lower setting using ATI overclocking software or something ?

I see your point, but I am just confused with why it never happens past startup, system can run for a month with the 4 sticks doing whatever you want (including multiple reboots) with 0 problems.

I still have that incorrectly "no restore points on drive D:", don't think its related to the RAM, because I am getting this with the only 2 matching sticks enabled.

Is there away to correctly point system restore to C: where the restore points are created ? sorry if this an OT now, not sure if I should be creating a thread in a different section for it, as it has just appeared after that BSOD thing.

If the system restore is on, there is no need to point it to C.

System Restore - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

Its on, and I can create restore points manually from the control panel.
The thing is when I try invoking system restore (via safe mode or the other startup recovery options) I get "no system restore points found" error message. Also, startup recovery title is saying "Windows 7 on local disc D:" so I am thinking its for some reason trying to find the restore points on D: instead of C:

I thought the motherboard should be able to deal with this (using lower timing settings for all the sticks). Can't you explicitly force the lower setting using ATI overclocking software or something ?

GSkill - DDR400 5-5-5-15, DDR266 4-4-4-10

Kingston - DDR400 5-5-5-18, DDR266 4-4-4-12

-> How?

You can force any settings but if it crashes then that's the problem.

Also, startup recovery title is saying "Windows 7 on local disc D:" so I am thinking its for some reason trying to find the restore points on D: instead of C:

If it's on D then it'll look on D.

You can force any settings but if it crashes then that's the problem.
How can that be done ? BIOS can only allow changing in voltage and operating frequency, non of the other timing settings unlike my other ASUS mother board.
If it's on D then it'll look on D.
Thats the point, its not on D, there is nothing on D (D isn't even protected by System Restore), not sure why its deducing that Windows is installed on D while its infact installed on C.

Last edited:
Although Win7 is on C:\, it could well be that the boot partition is on D:\.

Nope its not, I am positive about it (I am the one who installed the OS on that box).
C: is the primary boot partition for Win7.
C: is protected by system restore.
Creating system restore points via control panel is done on C:.

I think something was messed up during an attempt to recover or something. not sure what configuration (or registry setting) to set to fix that and let Windows recovery knows that the primary partition where all restore points are located is C: (that the way it has been couple of days ago when I was consistently using system restore to recover from the windows update crashes).

aasoror said:
How can that be done ? BIOS can only allow changing in voltage and operating frequency, non of the other timing settings unlike my other ASUS mother board.

No, my point is even if you force lower timings - no matter how, a good chance the system will crash again. Why? Because your Kingston RAM is not compatible with your G.Skill.

~~~~~~~

For the OS try booting from 7 dvd > repair > startup repair options > command prompt > sfc /scannow.

Thanks for everyone who contributed in this thread.
As suspected, there was no problem with the installed RAM it was something (unknown) related to windows.
Everything is working fine after installing the Win7 SP1.
Thanks again,

Back