Windows 7 MFTR overwritten. No drive D:

aim

Using the program called Eraser, I erased the free disk space of drive D: which is a logical partition on my only physical drive. Apparently the program overwrote the Master File Table Records and as result, I do not see the content of the D: drive. When looking at the properties of the D: drive, Windows shows the drive as RAW. When I want to open the D: drive in Explorer, I get the message:

You need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?

When I click Cancel, I get the message:

D:\ is not accessible.

The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

I used Recuva to recover the deleted items. Result: nothing found. I used Partition Find and Mount to scan the physical drive and search for lost partitions. Result: no lost partition was found.

Is there a way to restore the MFTR of drive D: and recover the files on it?

My configuration is:
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
  • 1 physical disk (Disk 0: Basic) 500GB on which four logical partition exist: Recovery, System Reserved, C: and D
  • All critical and security updates are installed
  • Restore points are created automatically only for the C: drive

Thanks in advance for your help.

You need an mft on there first so you need to format it then try one of the recovery systems which will handle reformatted drives like zar. It's not free but the download will let you see if anything can be recovered before needing to commit to buying it and that dependson what algorithm you used for wiping it in the first place.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm

Reactions: aim
Dear Patcooke,

Many many thanks for your help. I could restore all my data using ZAR. It is expensive but definitely worth buying.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Back
Top Bottom