Windows 7 Microsoft Japanese IME input mapped differently from Vista?

urutapu

Alright, so I'm typing in Japanese for schoolwork, but apparently everything but the letters and numbers is mapped differently when I'm using Microsoft IME. I never had this problem in Vista, where the keyboard wasn't remapped at all. Basically, when I switch to IME, my keyboard inputs like this image: Link Removed due to 404 Error

For example, in Vista IME, typing [ results in [. In 7, [ results in @. And so on.

Is there any way to remedy this so IME operated like an English-mapped keyboard? I can't figure one out. I'd like to be able to type symbols without have to fish for them.

It sounds to me like your using a US keyboard layout, have you tried changing it to something like UK QWERTY ?
Checkout the screenshot which has arrows pointing out the various settings. If you don't see the keyboard under the list click add.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Okay, I didn't realize UK keyboards were different. Yes, I'm using a US keyboard.

I don't think changing to a UK keyboard has anything to do with my problem...

Oh well it was just an idea... I also tried google without much success.. Let's hope someone reads this who knows a solution..

This doesn't happen for me. Is this perhaps affected by the KANA lock setting?
(I think that's supposed to be Shift + Caps Lock, but actually it's not working for me any more... it's just changing the input mode when I do that... argh...)

Well, when it's off, [ is still [ for me, and shift+2 is still @...

Last edited:
Alright, so I'm typing in Japanese for schoolwork, but apparently everything but the letters and numbers is mapped differently when I'm using Microsoft IME.

I had a similar problem come up just yesterday, maybe my fix will work for you?
Tell it to Show the language bar, so that you have it going across the top of your window. Change to JPN to display the big list of options (Japanese, IME, Input Mode, etc.) on the far right will be CAPS and KANA buttons stacked one over the other. try adjusting those to see if they will change your keys back to normal. For me, "normal" is both buttons being white. When you activate them they change to blue.

I think we were having the same problem, here's a better description of mine for clarity/to help other people find it in the future.

I'd been using JPN input with win7x64 for several months with no trouble on my us keyboard (qwerty/asdfgh). I've been using it this way for several years over other OS's and always use the shift+alt and alt+capslock to change between ENG and JPN and also Romaji and Kana modes. At some point yesterday I hit a key shortcut like that caused it to switch into Japanese keyboard mode. So in english mode I had asdf, in Japanese alphanumeric I still had asdf, but in Japanese hiragana/katakana modes I had
a = ち 
s = と
d = し
f = は
which as you can imagine was pretty frustrating considering my US keyboard doesn't have the kana written on it to use in this way. After some trial and error I finally fixed it, my KANA (kana-nyuuryoku) button was activated.

Back