Windows 10 Microsoft restricts the use of Win 7/8.1 on Skylake CPU's

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft has taken a further step in it's current campaign to force it's latest os on unsuspecting users:
Only devices on the Skylake support list will be supported on Windows 7 and 8.1. And even then only through July 17, 2017. “During this new 18-month support period, these systems should be upgraded to Windows 10 to continue receiving support after the period ends,” Microsoft says. “After July 2017, the most critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for these configurations, and will be released if the update does not risk the reliability or compatibility of the Windows 7/8.1 platform on other devices.”
But here’s what this means in the real world: Microsoft is not actually supporting Skylake generation hardware for Windows 7 and 8.1 at all. And that’s because there isn’t a business on earth that would go to the trouble of deploying on Skylake hardware now only to have to upgrade to Windows 10 in the near future. The net result is that only Windows 10 isreally supported on Skylake, e.g. on new hardware.
Put another way, this isn’t Microsoft building Windows 7/8.1 “support” for Skylake. This is Microsoft building a guaranteed upgrade for Windows 10. In other words, this is more of the same: Microsoft pushing customers to Windows 10 by any means necessary.
Reference

Yeah I've heard about it. Here's the thing; back in the day, perhaps a decade ago ,so 2007, We had Just released Windows 7. But one could actually install ANY prior Windows XP through 7. There was No problem.

now here's where they get you (Microsoft); I wanted to get away from 10 and go back to Windows 7 HP. Problem: due to this UEFI stuff, I tried to set my BIOS to legacy and then install. But Windows 7's installer couldn't recognize my 128GB M.2 SSD. it's aptly named "os_install." It is my C drive.

So Microsoft is screwing folks by this UEFI technology. Most would probably say, "but that was the tech 10 years ago. Ok, that's a gimme. But I should be able to develop a Computer system, an OEM with an OS I like. There is a lot to like about Windows 10 but also a lot of things people don't like. Everyone does to certain extents.

If you're going to force people on to your new OS, atleast, at a minimum, have the gall to give the users a dependable OS. I'm on another thread here about dropped WIFI signals/connections. I've been doing my research and there's an agreement that Microsoft hasn't addressed the dropped WIFI connections. from one article, the writer states the problem has resurfaced. now, the question this begs to be asked is, " what is Microsoft doing?" if you're building an OS, why do these things keep being broken? analogy; if you get the WIFI fixed and reliable, why do people STILL have these issues? once you get it working, it should stay working. But it seems Microsoft is rebuilding the OS each build. Some of the new technology and features should have NO bearing on WIFI. I know because I'm an insider. I use the preview release ring, but I have had to reinstall Windows 10 so many times, I've run out of fingers and toes. With past windows, my WIFI drops were due to my ISP's signal being cut due to maintenance or servicing.

But I always thought forcing people onto an OS was a nasty trick. the best way to receive loved users is by other means, a dependable OS, reliability and brand loyalty. I've used windows since windows 3.1. I know about all the hatred over the decades. I've heard it all. the evil empire quips, closed system and captured audience. In all honesty, Microsoft is nothing what it used to be.

I tried to go back to Windows 7 but my SSD M.2 drive isn't even recognized by the Windows 7 installer as they didn't exist yet.

I agree with both of you. Seems we no longer live in an era where quality is job #1 and the customer has some input that matters. I can remember when Windows 8 was released in another forum with a lot of insiders I made a post about simply offering the option of Metro or non Metro upon initial user bootup. Here we are with Windows 10, which is an "ok' operating system, but seems to lack refinement, and like an above comment it seems to be hastily pushed and seems users have become the "real" beta tasters which is sad. Also, they should have the option to revert to Windows 7 mode which would emulate Windows 7 perfectly UI wise (instead of having to use 3rd party tools) including Windows Aero that alone would help Microsoft's cause and bring in the fold a lot of users that still hate the UI. I don't hate the UI but it does look unrefined and somewhat haphazzardly thrown together, almost as if the MS UI design team does not care. About wireless, I don't it very often but when I have used it I have not noticed any issues but then again, not using it but a few times a week. maybe it has to do with certain Wireless Adaptors? Not sure but it would be worth looking into.

I think it's a smart move, it allows MS to focus on their current OS and remove the need for 10 years of backwards compatibility that leads to countless vulnerabilities.

I agree with both of you. Seems we no longer live in an era where quality is job #1 and the customer has some input that matters. I can remember when Windows 8 was released in another forum with a lot of insiders I made a post about simply offering the option of Metro or non-Metro upon initial user bootup. Here we are with Windows 10, which is an "ok' operating system but seems to lack refinement, and like an above comment it seems to be hastily pushed and seems users have become the "real" beta testers which is sad. Also, they should have the option to revert to Windows 7 mode which would emulate Windows 7 perfectly UI wise (instead of having to use 3rd party tools) including Windows Aero that alone would help Microsoft's cause and bring in the fold a lot of users that still hate the UI. I don't hate the UI but it does look unrefined and somewhat haphazardly thrown together, almost as if the MS UI design team does not care. About wireless, I don't it very often but when I have used it I have not noticed any issues but then again, not using it but a few times a week. maybe it has to do with certain Wireless Adaptors? Not sure but it would be worth looking into.

Excellent post by the way! If I can add, With Windows 10, that proverbial saying, trying to be everything to everybody and ending up being nothing to anyone. Microsoft in its adventure to create an OS that works for everyone became an OS with a UI that doesn't work for those groups they intended. I ALWAYS said this, even to my wife and other forums that, IF the Windows 10 installation would interrogate a person's tablet/Laptop & Desktop, it could install the interface based upon that systems capabilities. Some Desktops andLaptops have touchscreen capabilities, this would in effect allow the installation to install windows 10 to work towards touchscreen users. Of course, allow the users to implement to change things as they see fit based upon how they compute. Microsoft botched up the entire Continuum project because they didn't fully carry the smartphone aspect into the whole scheme. Now, Windows 10 phones and the OS are dead fish. they shot for big goals but again missed the mark and have since Windows phone 7 I think. Microsoft shoots for such high aspirations only to left them crash when they can't work them out.

Gaming was supposed to be based upon watching the Windows 10 release webcast Jan 2015, gaming was to allow gamers to game on a windows smartphone>Desktop/Laptop PC>Xboxone. That to some degree has worked. But Microsoft needs to calm down, and focus. Get the OS right (UI and such). They have hired people who may know technology but lack continuity. lack vision. Microsoft CAN recover but do they?

I like DirectX10 and gaming. Other than that, that's it. I use 3rd party programs to alter the way my OS looks not perfect but allows me to do what I'd like as mush as possible
screenshot.png

But Microsoft is looking to resort Windows 7,8&8.1 to the realm of abandonware. People will use it but won't get any support. this could have dire affacts for Microsofts bottomline and loyalty base.

Back