Windows 7 Microsofts new security freeware

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
To check out MS's new anti-virus/malware/spyware scanner click on the link:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Remember it's still in beta so be carefull....

Also be aware of limited availability:

This beta is available only to customers in the United States, Israel (English only), People's Republic of China (Simplified Chinese only) and Brazil (Brazilian Portuguese only).

Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft has released its free Link Removed due to 404 Error anti-malware package for Windows XP, Vista and 7. Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to provide real-time protection for home PCs against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft has released its free Security Essentials anti-malware package for Windows XP, Vista and 7. Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to provide real-time protection for home PCs against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Security Essentials beta users also need to check out kemical's link because there is a note on that page to beta users to update their beta installations to the final version. :)

edit: this updates to version 1.0.1611.0. This is not merely a definition update.

Last edited:
If you are an active "Live" beta user, it will come via normal updates. Mine came yesterday.
For new users. Make sure , in the notifications panel, you set it to show "icon and notifications". This will allow you to monitor that it is fully updated. You will get a green symbol then, as in the picture, which will turn red when some action is required.

Last edited:
Yup, this isn't for the 'beta' or demo, but the finished product, available, to everyone...:D

Microsoft Security Essentials no longer Beta

Microsoft Security Essentials has finally released and no longer in Beta

Wow i never would of thought Microsoft would release there own security features - but i was wrong , i am going to be sticking with mcafee because - well i paid for it

Even thought it's some sort of protection it's not as advanced and doesn't have as many features as mcafee, and in a test it didn't find inactive viruses that mcafee/ other security program.

It's not the best but it's something for people who don't want free centers and want to go with Microsoft.

Now that they have released Microsoft security essentials they are going to have to deal with issues and i cannot see them doing this, especially since it's free software

Actually, Mcafee is not that good. It's ability to find and clean viruses might be ok, but the underlying software has not been very good for a very long time. It also produces many false positives.

MSE, is still starting out, but they have OneCare as a base, which was getting very good.
For the most part, most people don't need a ton of bells and whistles. Find the vermin and get rid of it, or stop it.
What more does anyone really need?

See This http://www.av-comparatives.org

However,, this is not the end all be all.... some software just plain sucks.

Kemical,,, yes, I did miss that,,, but it wasn't under news,, so I added it.

Last edited:
Let's hope this doesn't start a proliferation of double posts...:confused:

Well if we all went to mac then we cant get viruses and we can save ram and money on security centre however, has anyone else had this problem with Microsoft security essentials-using so much ram - its not doing a scan and well it uses a lot of ram and it killing my computer - It IS mse taking up the ram

Let's hope this doesn't start a proliferation of double posts...:confused:
None is listeneing M8. I wanted to point to your other thread as soon as I saw this one. I should have done so. You are a moderator , can't you merge?

Thanks RAK, I didn't have time to do it the other day, glad you reminded me. Seems a bit crazy to have two threads open at once on the same subject..

Windows Live OneCare has been out for years. It was a for-pay service and worked quite well. The security essentials seem like the successor to 1care.

And I just installed it on a virtual XP machine. Switched from Avast that was on that machine. Same machine I am using to write this note. Anyway it's on this machine for starters or for now... may yet/still put it on other machines. So far, so good,

Drew
I did the same thing. I use Norton 360 in windows 7. Norton 360 didn't work in Beta or RC but works fine now.

I never download viruses, so can't vouch for its performance. But so far so good on my laptop... Normally I would have Smart Security installed, but I'm giving this a try due to its small footprint.

Back