Windows 10 migrate license to ssd not working

serverguy

i have windows 10(free upgrade from 7) on my computer/ old hard drive, it is fully activated, i installed a program to extract my license

i bought a new hard drive, its an SSD, its much much faster

so i downloaded windows 10 and installed it on the ssd, then i put in my windows 10 key

but it says i cannot activate that key, that that activation message stays in the cornor

so how can i get my key to work on my computer, i do not want to go back to the old hard drive, its too slow

i was just reading online, if i add my microsoft account on the old hard drive then i can transfer it to the new one, i might try that soon

help!

Last edited:
Well if this is an OEM licenseI believe you'll need to re-install Windows 7 from the OEM media and then upgrade to Windows 10. If someone has gone this route and knows a different way they may say so. You may want to call Microsoft directly and see if that is the case or they may be able to activate your system.

i don't know if it is an oem version

but it says in the key extract "Full Packaged Product' media"

also it ends with 3V66T

i have another upgrade license laying around and i saw that both keys are the same and end with 3V66T

so thats why it wasnt working, i read online many upgrades all end with 3V66T in the license key,

the only difference is the Product ID but there is no way for my to input my product id anywhere

yes both of the desktops are branded, dell and lenovo

both of them are upgrades from windows 7 , i didn't receive any cds with them when i bought them

when i click "i changed hardware on this device recently" it says "unable to activate windows"

i click "see other devices linked to your Microsoft Account" it says

"Unsupported version"

and i can see my desktop but its from my old hard drive

wer.png

well i give up, i'll just call microsoft,

or i wonder if i clone my old hard drive, and copy it to my new ssd will i still have this problem..?

i have windows 10(free upgrade from 7) on my computer/ old hard drive, it is fully activated, i installed a program to extract my license

i bought a new hard drive, its an SSD, its much much faster

so i downloaded windows 10 and installed it on the ssd, then i put in my windows 10 key

but it says i cannot activate that key, that that activation message stays in the cornor

so how can i get my key to work on my computer, i do not want to go back to the old hard drive, its too slow

i was just reading online, if i add my microsoft account on the old hard drive then i can transfer it to the new one, i might try that soon

help!

Register yourself on MS with your old installed drive. Then install the new drive. Then you can log into the MS site and re-register. Most of the time this works. You should register in the first place. This way if you do have any problems with the OS you have proof from your login you are the rightful owner of the OS install.

An easy thing to do is get an outboard USB drive. Make an image backup from the old drive to the outboard USB drive. Image back to the new SSD drive. Take care the new drive must be the same size or larger in order to image back from the previous drive. Don't try to image back to a smaller drive from a larger drive. It will fail the image restore.

Back
Top Bottom