Mint 11 Live DVD Newbie to Linux

Super Sarge

I just burnt the latest Mint Linux 64 Bit to a DVD. I have 4 internal hard drives, C: contains W7 64 bit D has vista 32 bit Drives E and F store backups of Vista and W7 dual boot configuration.
I also have a 1 TB Hitachi external drive a 1TB Seagate Drive on which I could move my backups.
If I installed Mint 11 on drive E or F how would I create a triple boot configuration. Right now I use Vista Boot Pro 3 change from W7 Default to Vista 32.
I would need specific instructions on how to create a triple boot system comprised of W7 64 bit, Vista 32 Bit and Mint Linux.
Also where does one get drivers for printer scanners and such for a Mint Linux install?

I'm not sure about mint, but last time I installed ubuntu the install figured out the dual\triple boot itself.

You could try this which will add mint to your current boot menu. Mint4Win

Okay, so first off, Linux has nothing to do with booting the OS, before decompressing itself. I know that sounds strange, but its true. A boot loader that is independent of any OS is used. The two that I know of are Grub and LiLo, to witch I like Grub better, that is more of a bias from my father. The nice thing about it being independent is that you can use what ever boot loader you want, just install it and make it active. Most boot loaders that come with modern distributions of GNU are smart enough to find a Windows boot loader, and add it to the boot menu. I remember from the last time I installed Fedora that it add separate items for XP, Vista and 7, but they all went to the Windows boot loader. To make it nicer and tidier, cutting that down to one named Windows, would be a good idea. That's not hard, just edit the boot menu in the boot loader directory. nmsuk is right though, you shouldn't have to do anything special to get it to work.

Ok Now how do I get Linux mint to run inside a virtual Drive, I down loaded a couple I got the ISO loaded in to the virtual drive how do I run it inside windows 7, I found the Mint4win but I cannot figure out how to to run it inside Windows 7

I've just downloaded it. On the root of the cd image I've downloaded is a Mint4Win.exe.
Which image did you download? if it's the dvd Mint4Win isn't on it.

Ok I think I downloaded the DVD will try again and get back to you.
I did shrink my C drive from 1.5 TB to 1 TB so if I decide to install Linux Mint I will install it on the 500 gig partition I created.

I got a real silly question can I put this This newly created ISO on my new partition that I created for a future install of Linux Mint and run mint4win from there

Last edited:
I've just downloaded it. On the root of the cd image I've downloaded is a Mint4Win.exe.
Which image did you download? if it's the dvd Mint4Win isn't on it.
I am writing this from Linux Mint I used the mint4win it is only on the 32 bit version

Sarge to be able to do that you will have to run a file system that is allowed by Windows. FAT, NTFS, eFAT. Although there are better file systems out supported by Linux. The problem with using them is that your Windows wont read them with out modifying. If you want to go virtual, tell me are you mounting the ISO in a dirtual drive like Daemon tools?

In most virtual machines you can mount the iso directly within the VM. No need for Daemon or similar tools.

Right right, I was making sure that Sarge wasn't doing that. It sounded to me like that is the case.

I got it installed Mint4win it installed on the partition I created for it. I like it I will now uninstall it and install the 64 bit version instead of using the the mint4win which is a 32 bit version

Sarge, it is a good idea to run a 64 bit version of an OS if you have the resources. Are you familiar with partitioning for Linux?

No so how do I install Mint I have the Boot ISO disk. When I select install can I select the drive I want it installed on?

Back
Top Bottom