Mint 11 Live DVD Newbie to Linux

Right now I am virtual, I took off the 32 bit version of Mint and installed the virtual 64 bit. I think I will stay virtual until I get a better handle on this OS, and I fully understand how to install it on it own partition

Okay, better to know your stuff and do your research before diving in to it. I will help you in any way I can. If you have messengers add me, I will be more than willing to lend a helping hand when I am at my computer.

I have a question it seems Mint has something like the W& UAC. it asks for permission and password before I do certain things is there a way to turn this off

Yes, that is SELinux, depending what distribution you have, is how to disable it. Try opening a terminal window and putting in

gedit /etc/selinux/config

That should be the file for SELinux settings.

Yes, that is SELinux, depending what distribution you have, is how to disable it. Try opening a terminal window and putting in

That should be the file for SELinux settings.
I did this but got following error
bash: gedit/etc/selinux/config: No such file or directory

I just noticed this, did you put a space between gedit and /, cause there is suppose to be. gedit /etc/selinux/config gedit is an application name, stand for Gedit, said as one word.

The only other thing you can do is forum troll or search the WiKi on the Mint Linux site to find how to get to the setup application for SELinux. or if you can even find the path it is at.

If I remember correctly, you could do sudo updatedb an then a locate selinux, it could very well be a case sensitive search so try multiple combinations to find it.

OK now Thunderbird e-mail client is driving me nuts.
I pout in the information it retrieves the mail but the next time it says my information/password is incorrect. I just gave up on Thunderbird. I will look for a different client or try installing outlook 2010 using wine but that is another story for a later date.

I am going friggin nuts I am about to dump Linux I have wine but cannot do not understand I am trying to install Outlook 2010 I cannot wine to install it, I know it is not wines fault. The fault lis between my ears I cannot figure it out
I select setup.exe I click and tell to open with wine windows program loader to me as far as I can see nothing happens

Last edited:
Have you used winecfg to configure wine. If so have you tried wine /pathtoinstaller. This is a silly suggestion have you tried just running the installer with right click open and selecting open with wine.?

Last edited:
I wanted to use OUTLOOK 2007 or 2010, but it seems I cannot 2007 is an upgrade and even if I use my Disk with Office 2003 on it it does not see it as a qualifying product for some reason.
Now on to another problem, I hate Thunderbird, I create an account it works once for collecting mail next time I use it I get an error basically telling me it either cannot connect with comcast.net or my password is bad which is crap as it worked the first time and Yes I told Thunderbird to remember password. I am going to remove it and go with something else. I did not have printer problems because both my printers are on a network they were easy to install

I would go on a limb and say that your printers are HPs. That is really strange about the Office 2003...look up Wine HQ and see if there is an exe or something that you need to run it.

I will just use the open Libre Office that installs with Mint
Thunderbird (TB) is my big PITA right now, I create an account as previously stated on earlier post it works fine as long as TB is running. I shut down TB start it back up I get error message yadayada possible bad password. I know the password is valid as it worked before and yes I had remember password checked. No my printers were an Epson Wireless Artisan 710 and a Ricoh Afcio CL1000n color on Ethernet hookup.

Last edited:
Weird, GNU distributions come with HP prepackaged software so it is almost dummy proof. Any thing else you can run in to all kinds of problems. Good job on the smooth install, gratz. Just looked up the Office 2003 on Wine, and it looks like the last confirmed install on Linux Mint is from 7 Gloria, using Wine 1.1.26. Just for your records. If I install TB on my Windows, do you think it would work the same as on a GNU box?

Weird, GNU distributions come with HP prepackaged software so it is almost dummy proof. Any thing else you can run in to all kinds of problems. Good job on the smooth install, gratz. Just looked up the Office 2003 on Wine, and it looks like the last confirmed install on Linux Mint is from 7 Gloria, using Wine 1.1.26. Just for your records. If I install TB on my Windows, do you think it would work the same as on a GNU box?
TB works fine on W7 I installed it just to test it out it worked just fine. Just put your info in name e-mail adress and Password it does everything else. In fact it works better in W7 for me better than it does in my mint4windows

nmsuk, trying to get a Mint running virtual. Running VirtualBox what Linux version should I run, since it doesn't have a Mint listed.

Oh, I'm stupid, I just realized it has linux 2.2, 2.4, 2.4 (64 Bit), 2.6 and 2.6 (64 Bit). I'm going to use that, since I will be running a 2.6 (64 Bit) Linux.

Back