Windows Vista missing driver for vista install, wth?

3oh!3

ok.. so i recently installed vista ultimate over my windows xp 32 bit. and.. it worked fine until i tried to install nero 7 premium. now, for about the past month, when it loads some vidsrub.sys driver is missing and it says it cant run vista bc its a critical system driver. so.. after weeks of trying to fix this problem with everything from some weird as hell recovery things ive downloaded to the actual recovery disk with no luck. so, ive decided the last thing to do was to do a restore, or reinstall vista. well.. since i have no idea how or if you can run a restore from the vista install disk, i decided to reinstall. but in the collecting info part, bfre it installs. it trys telling me thet some cd/dvd media driver or something like that is missing and its required.. my dvd burner/player is a plug and play and other than that.. i have no $%&* clue what the problem could be..
i miss my computer.. =[
lol
if you need any info or anyting in particular just say so.
and also, thanks in advance for your help, =]

The problem might be narrowed down if you could give a more detailed account of this message
" it tries telling me that some cd/dvd media driver or something like that is missing "

yea.. sry, =x
when it boots, i get the error message, missing critical driver, c/windows/system32/vidstub.sys
and im not sure if this is something nero messed with or what. but it worked fine before i installed nero. ive seen vistub.sys as part of stardock themes, but i only had stardock on my windows xp which it moved everything to a windows old folder when i installed vista. i got everything i needed/wanted out of that folder and deleted the whole thing.
did i need some drivers out of there or something?
please tell mew i can fix this.. :confused:

There was, a little while ago, another thread on this. I cannot explain what is going on with your computer, but it is s bad idea to install over XP. It appears to have left some stardock stuff in your setup. The ultimate answer, seemed to be to go to Windows\System32 and remove the vidstub.sys file. This will permanently cripple any stardock remnants and, hopefully, stop the problem.
If you fell safe with it, you could also do a search in the registry (regedit) and remove any instances of Stardock.
Also look under the sratup tab in Msconfig and see if there are any related entries there.

well.. ive given up on this..
the only thing left to do (that i can think of) is to re-format the disk through a windows xp disk and then install vista over xp.
and.. uh, last question..
is there anyway i could just format the my disk drive w/out using a windows xp cd and then installing a clean copy of vista?
(im not good at.. well. pretty much anything that has to be done from startup w/out running some type of windows.

thanks, =]

The beginning of the Vista install process has an option to format and, if needed, partition.

Back
Top Bottom