Windows 10 Missing operating system after rebooting

LT72884

Windows 10 was acting uggiah, so i hit reatart, during restart, it said something went wrong and we are collecting data, now i get missing opperating system.

This was an esucational version i downloaded from my university so it has no repair dvd.

What do i need to do? Bios still sees the ssd so im guessing bad boot record

Thanks

It's likely that this was the result of a faulty BIOS configuration or damaged BCD (Boot Configuration Data).

First, try accessing BIOS by pressing your computer's BIOS key during startup (usually Esc, F12, or Del). Once there, find the "Setup Default" option or "Reset to Default", enable it, and exit while saving changes.

If this doesn't work, you will have to use a recovery program via a bootable USB drive.

It's likely that this was the result of a faulty BIOS configuration or damaged BCD (Boot Configuration Data).

First, try accessing BIOS by pressing your computer's BIOS key during startup (usually Esc, F12, or Del). Once there, find the "Setup Default" option or "Reset to Default", enable it, and exit while saving changes.

If this doesn't work, you will have to use a recovery program via a bootable USB drive.
I booted into hirens boot cd pe, but there ia no tool to fix mbr, only a program called bootice that will make partions and install new mbr from a file or just install a nt6x mbr. Im not sure qhere to go from here? Tha ks. Is there another boot environment i should try

How long have you been using this Windows version? Hiren's Boot CD PE is not a general-purpose OS and should only be used for deployment and recovery. It's based on Windows 10 PE x64 which automatically stops running and reboots while clearing all it's data 72 hours after activation.

Unfortunately, unless it reboots on its own, this means you will no longer be able to access it. There doesn't seem to be a way to force it to reboot either, since it's designed for testing purposes in the first place and not for general use. You can learn more about Windows 10 PE here: Windows PE (WinPE)

How long have you been using this Windows version? Hiren's Boot CD PE is not a general-purpose OS and should only be used for deployment and recovery. It's based on Windows 10 PE x64 which automatically stops running and reboots while clearing all it's data 72 hours after activation.

Unfortunately, unless it reboots on its own, this means you will no longer be able to access it. There doesn't seem to be a way to force it to reboot either, since it's designed for testing purposes in the first place and not for general use. You can learn more about Windows 10 PE here: Windows PE (WinPE)
I have had winb 10 pro for about 2 years. Ok, i wont use hirens. What usb utility do you recommend i use to fix the mbr of my won 10 pro? Thanks. Oh, i dont have a repair dvd for it either since i got this from my schools online store.

In terms of recovery utilities, I recommend Easy Recovery Essentials since it's free and easy to use. However, in this situation, you should probably look into installing a general-purpose version of Windows instead. A recovery tool may not help you now since Windows PE is a pre-installation environment and isn't designed to store data in the first place.

The built-in WinRM works just fine for repairing most boot issues, it's available in a Windows 10 install ISO or in some cases on the existing system.

In the recovery console select the 'command prompt'
Type diskpart
Type list disk

If you see a * under GPT then it's a GPT disk and the issue is either the BCD store or missing/corrupt boot files

To fix MBR you would just run
bootrec /FixMBR

If it's GPT then you can run one or both
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /RebuildBCD

In terms of recovery utilities, I recommend Easy Recovery Essentials since it's free and easy to use. However, in this situation, you should probably look into installing a general-purpose version of Windows instead. A recovery tool may not help you now since Windows PE is a pre-installation environment and isn't designed to store data in the first place.
Good program, I used it several times. But I like Uneraser more. This software recovers data from the computer’s hard drive, works with different file permissions.

Back