Windows 8 "Modern" as your start menu

After following a recent thread, I got a distinct impression that many users are not fully aware that the modern screen can be customised, and is, for all normal use, a graphical Start menu. Progams can be added, removed and arranged, with appropriate heading names.
I realise that users have, in the past, used various alternative options, such as desktop shortcuts, added toolbars and even rows of icons on the taskbar. If this is user preference then, obviously, they should continue with that method.
But, nevertheless, here is an example of how I would open my media player and play an entire music folder. I have arranged my MS media play with libraries, according to category, but this can also be done with several other third party players.
The modern screen, on my daily computer, is my default on boot, I then see this:

This is my default opening Windows – Customised Modern screen. It has all the programs which I more frequently use, on a daily basis. The remainder are in the “Al Programs” window. Not unlike having sub folders in the legacy Start Menu?

upload_2013-12-11_11-37-5.png

If, for example, I am in the mood to listen to some music, I now click the Media player, which is already visible. I have my albums arranged in categories. The last default was on Classical Piano music, which looks like:

I can then click the play button at the bottom, in the usual way, and it will play the whole folder in sequence

Not too difficult?
In the old legacy, I click The start button - All Programs - Accessories - WMP - and so on.

?I am not quite with this thread, I think? only pointing out what I use, not sure what the command line has to do with the graphical (Metro)interface?
In anticipation of irrelevant response and argument, I did say "I realise that users have, in the past, used various alternative options"

After following a recent thread, I got a distinct impression that many users are not fully aware that the modern screen can be customised, and is, for all normal use, a graphical Start menu. Progams can be added, removed and arranged, with appropriate heading names.
I realise that users have, in the past, used various alternative options, such as desktop shortcuts, added toolbars and even rows of icons on the taskbar. If this is user preference then, obviously, they should continue with that method.
But, nevertheless, here is an example of how I would open my media player and play an entire music folder. I have arranged my MS media play with libraries, according to category, but this can also be done with several other third party players.
The modern screen, on my daily computer, is my default on boot, I then see this:

This is my default opening Windows – customised Modern screen. It has all the programs which I more frequently use, on a daily basis. The remainder are in the “Al Programs” window. Not unlike having sub folders in the legacy Start Menu?

View attachment 25947

If, for example, I am in the mood to listen to some music, I now click the Media player, which is already visible. I have my albums arranged in categories. The last default was on Classical Piano music, which looks like:

View attachment 25949

I can then click the play button at the bottom, in the usual way, and it will play the whole folder in sequence

View attachment 25948

Not too difficult?
In the old legacy, I click The start button - All Programs - Accessories - WMP - and so on.

You can lead a horse to water but...

We have been trying to explain all this & express to people how easy Windows 8.1 is to use & navigate... will we ever succeed in conveying the message? Hard to say but, all we can do is keep trying. The ridiculous negative hype & myths propagated about the OS prior to its release has made this task very challenging for us. People were fed such an inaccurate view of the OS that it is really tough to overcome the misconceptions, mind-set & attitude it created.

If it was getting through people would not (still) be whinging about start menus, start buttons, Tiles or crying over XP finally being put out to pasture.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

Almost 22 months after the 1st Consumer Preview of Windows 8, the naysayers keep pouring in.

How can this many people still be brainwashed, by now, the majority of those who uses Windows 8.1 as their daily OS really likes it. Windows 8.1 is the most feature filled OS that MS has put forth to date. Most everything one can ask for, can be customized to one's taste (as davehc has shown in his OP), what more can one ask for?

I'm sure there are even XP skins to suit those user's tastes, no one is left out.

It's obvious that the anti-Windows 8 propaganda that began 2 years ago has worked well.

Cat

"It's obvious that the anti-Windows 8 propaganda that began 2 years ago has worked well."

Yes, except that damned propaganda had no merit and, yet, here we are, this far into the fun, joy, capability & ease of Windows 8.1, still, dealing w/ the aftermath... geeez, come on, Folks. It is NOT what some hearsay or some know-it-all in an article somewhere told you way back whenever! But, it IS sensible, sound, solid, secure, slick, smooth, speedy and smart.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

I know that it has no merit, some of the self posted videos by "experts" were more comical than educational. My guess is that these are unemployed actors & one can easily see why.

One such video really stood out, someone with what appeared to be degrees & lots of books behind him, was obviously playing stupid when he was supposedly trying to get past the initial screen after boot, the one that showed the time on a highway background. Like over 2 minutes.

Had he really earned the credentials that was in the background, he would have known when in doubt, press "Enter" or click the mouse. Even children who uses computers knows this.

davehc, that's a nice looking Start screen you have there. A good example of just how customizable Windows 8.1 is. Focusing on making it work for the user gets more accomplished than negativity & posting rubbish about the OS. Again, many of who never tried to run it.

Cat

Back
Top Bottom