Windows 7 monitor turns itself off for a few seconds

king 66

so i just upgraded to 64bit 7 from 32 bit vista. updated my 8800 gt's drivers installed firefox and a few gadgets when my screen would flash black and start bar would become a solid color then the monitor turns off and says no input. after a few seconds it comes back on (my cpu's core usage also spikes when this happens) ive never had this problem with vista and cant find any info on this any advice would be most appreciated.

so i just upgraded to 64bit 7 from 32 bit vista. updated my 8800 gt's drivers installed firefox and a few gadgets when my screen would flash black and start bar would become a solid color then the monitor turns off and says no input. after a few seconds it comes back on (my cpu's core usage also spikes when this happens) ive never had this problem with vista and cant find any info on this any advice would be most appreciated.

King 66,

Are you using the latest drivers from NVidia for Windows 7 64-bit? Also, you cannot "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP

Did you perform a clean install? If not, this could be cause for the issue you are experiencing.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

well yea guess i wasnt clear i mean the 64 bit 7 was an upgrade from what i hade i didnt upgrade the 32bit vista without a clean install. i checked the drivers they are the latest 64 bit ones for 7 for my card. i also turned off sleep / hybrid sleep and it says in power options to never turn off the display so im not sure what this could be. also ive noticed this only happens when im not using the pc and when the screen turns off if i move the mouse it will come back on.

well yea guess i wasnt clear i mean the 64 bit 7 was an upgrade from what i hade i didnt upgrade the 32bit vista without a clean install. i checked the drivers they are the latest 64 bit ones for 7 for my card. i also turned off sleep / hybrid sleep and it says in power options to never turn off the display so im not sure what this could be. also ive noticed this only happens when im not using the pc and when the screen turns off if i move the mouse it will come back on.

Okay, go to Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings

Do you see the setting for "Turn the display off"? Is this setting also "Never"?

Jessica

yea, which is whats weird because it seems like something in power options but ive double checked that its set to never turn off

yea, which is whats weird because it seems like something in power options but ive double checked that its set to never turn off

King 66,

Can you take a screen shot or screen clipping of your power settings?

Jessica

From what you describe it sounds like settings to me. It seems your monitor is just going into regular standby. Try going into advanced power settings as well. That gets more specific.

As far as the monitor turning off on you when you start your computer, i think that is normal it depends on the brand of monitor / operating system sometimes i believe. I have a gateway 22inch monitor and when i start my computer the monitor turns on like normal, but before it can load into windows it times out and turns back off, probably because right after windows boots, video memory becomes software controlled and thats what its looking for. But after a move of the mouse it turns back on. It did this with WinXP and it does it even longer with Win7.

Definately try taking a couple screenshots of all of your display settings. That would greatly help.

I am experiencing the same problem

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem. I did perform a clean install of windows 7 professional rtm, and in the past i have used the windows 7 ultimate rc, both were clean installs and both have the same issue. it occurs when the display is supposed to be turned off as configured via the advanced power preferences. the screen turns off and then back on instead of remaining off. how can i fix this so the screen does turn off?

i am on a laptop with an nvidia 8600 m gt chipset running the latest nvidia notebook drivers.

Back