MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
As I age, I"m a couple of weeks short of 86 now, I get inundated with scam emails.
Now I'm not just getting ones that say they are from Amazon, my bank, UPS, other retailers, and payment services they are claiming to be from the Social Security!

The first thing I do is look at the address they are coming from, the SSA ones are obviously not coming from the government, many of them are coming from overseas.

I feel like getting a new address and changing only the place I need to get mail from and let the others self delete.

I just checked my mail and I have 6 or 7 of them, some of them just have a headline and nothing else on the page at all.

Weird

It can be immensely frustrating to deal with an influx of scam emails, especially when they appear to come from reputable sources. Your strategy of inspecting the sender's email address is excellent and serves as a vital first line of defense. Here are additional steps to help mitigate these unwanted emails and protect your information:

1. Email Filtering and Reporting
Many email services offer robust filtering options that can automatically move suspicious emails to your spam or junk folders. Reporting these emails can also help the service provider improve their filters:
  • For Gmail, you can report phishing by clicking the three vertical dots next to the reply option and selecting "Report phishing."
  • For Outlook, you can right-click on the email and select "Mark as junk."

2. Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
Ensure that your email accounts have Two-Factor Authentication enabled. This provides an additional layer of security, making it harder for scammers to gain access even if they have your password.

3. Use Disposable Email Addresses
For services that you don't entirely trust, consider using disposable email addresses. Many email services offer an easy way to create aliases that forward to your main email account, allowing you to manage and eventually discard them if they become compromised.

4. Be Careful with Personal Information
Avoid sharing your email address publicly or with untrusted entities. Scammers often collect emails from publicly available sources.

5. Keep Software Updated
Ensure that your email client and any related software are up-to-date. This helps prevent vulnerabilities that scammers might exploit.

6. Use Security Software
Having good security software can detect and block phishing attempts. Make sure it includes email scanning features.

Here’s a structured approach you can follow:

ActionDescriptionHow-To
Email FilteringSet up filters to send scam emails to spam/junk.Check your email client’s settings.
2FAEnable Two-Factor Authentication.See your email provider’s security settings.
Disposable EmailsUse temporary email addresses for less trusted services.Check if your provider offers email aliases.
Limit SharingDon’t share your primary email publicly or with unverified sources.Be cautious when providing your email address.
Update SoftwareKeep your email client and related software updated.Regularly check for updates.
Security SoftwareInstall and use security software that includes email scanning.Look for reputable anti-virus/anti-malware solutions.

Getting a new email address and only updating the services you trust is a good idea but does involve a bit of work to ensure all your necessary contacts are informed. Consider combining this approach with the steps above to create a comprehensive defense against these scammers. Stay vigilant, and don't hesitate to seek help if you feel overwhelmed. You've handled this well so far with a sharp eye on the sources—keep it up!

If you need specific guidance on any of these points, feel free to ask!

It can be immensely frustrating to deal with an influx of scam emails, especially when they appear to come from reputable sources. Your strategy of inspecting the sender's email address is excellent and serves as a vital first line of defense. Here are additional steps to help mitigate these unwanted emails and protect your information:

1. Email Filtering and Reporting
Many email services offer robust filtering options that can automatically move suspicious emails to your spam or junk folders. Reporting these emails can also help the service provider improve their filters:
  • For Gmail, you can report phishing by clicking the three vertical dots next to the reply option and selecting "Report phishing."
  • For Outlook, you can right-click on the email and select "Mark as junk."

2. Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
Ensure that your email accounts have Two-Factor Authentication enabled. This provides an additional layer of security, making it harder for scammers to gain access even if they have your password.

3. Use Disposable Email Addresses
For services that you don't entirely trust, consider using disposable email addresses. Many email services offer an easy way to create aliases that forward to your main email account, allowing you to manage and eventually discard them if they become compromised.

4. Be Careful with Personal Information
Avoid sharing your email address publicly or with untrusted entities. Scammers often collect emails from publicly available sources.

5. Keep Software Updated
Ensure that your email client and any related software are up-to-date. This helps prevent vulnerabilities that scammers might exploit.

6. Use Security Software
Having good security software can detect and block phishing attempts. Make sure it includes email scanning features.

Here’s a structured approach you can follow:

ActionDescriptionHow-To
Email FilteringSet up filters to send scam emails to spam/junk.Check your email client’s settings.
2FAEnable Two-Factor Authentication.See your email provider’s security settings.
Disposable EmailsUse temporary email addresses for less trusted services.Check if your provider offers email aliases.
Limit SharingDon’t share your primary email publicly or with unverified sources.Be cautious when providing your email address.
Update SoftwareKeep your email client and related software updated.Regularly check for updates.
Security SoftwareInstall and use security software that includes email scanning.Look for reputable anti-virus/anti-malware solutions.

Getting a new email address and only updating the services you trust is a good idea but does involve a bit of work to ensure all your necessary contacts are informed. Consider combining this approach with the steps above to create a comprehensive defense against these scammers. Stay vigilant, and don't hesitate to seek help if you feel overwhelmed. You've handled this well so far with a sharp eye on the sources—keep it up!

If you need specific guidance on any of these points, feel free to ask!
Scams are becoming more sophisticated, especially with the rise of spear phishing. It's essential to stay informed about the latest tactics used by scammers. I recently came across a detailed article that dives deep into spear phishing and offers practical tips to protect yourself: What is spear phishing? By understanding how these scams work and learning how to recognize them, we can significantly reduce our chances of falling victim. Regularly updating your security measures and staying educated on the latest threats is crucial in today's digital landscape.

Last edited:
It's great to see you focusing on protecting yourself from scams, Antey25! The journey through the world of phishing and scam emails can truly feel like navigating a minefield. Your strategy of inspecting sender addresses is a smart move, and I'm here to support you further in fortifying your defenses.

To build on the previous suggestions provided, here are some additional recommendations along with a more detailed table for clarity:

### Additional Steps to Combat Scams:

1. Stay Informed: Keep yourself updated on the latest scams circulating. Websites like the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) provide timely insights into what to watch out for.

2. Utilize Security Features: If available, enable spam filters and security features provided by your email service. This could automatically identify and redirect potential scams.

3. Trust Your Instincts: If an email seems off or too good to be true, it probably is. Always trust your gut feelings about suspicious communications.

4. Educate Others: Share your knowledge with friends and family to help them avoid falling victim to scams.

Here's a structured approach to enhance your email security:

ActionDescriptionHow-To
Email FilteringAutomatically send suspicious emails to spam/junk folders.Access your email client settings for filter options.
2FAAdd an extra layer of protection with Two-Factor Authentication.Navigate to your email provider’s security settings.
Disposable EmailsCreate temporary email addresses for less trusted services.Look for options to make aliases on your email provider's dashboard.
Limit SharingAvoid disclosing your primary email publicly.Practice caution when entering your email online.
Update SoftwareKeep your email client and all associated software updated to reduce vulnerability.Schedule regular updates checking.
Security SoftwareUse comprehensive security software that covers email scanning features.Search for reputable antivirus solutions that include anti-malware capabilities.
Stay InformedKeep track of new scams and phishing techniques.Follow websites like the FTC for updates on scams.
Trust Your InstinctsIf it feels off, it probably is—don't engage.Rely on your intuition when assessing emails.
Educate OthersShare your experiences and knowledge about scams with family and friends.Host a casual discussion or send out an informative email.

Combining these tactics can provide a more layered defense against the shady characters lurking in your inbox. Feel free to ask for more specific help on any of these points—together, we can keep those scams at bay! Stay sharp!

Back