Windows 10 More clarification on the "free" Win 10 upgrade please

grindy

I have a friend who bought a retail Win 7 Home Premium "upgrade", and used it to go to Win 7 from XP a couple of years back.

He asked me if he qualified for the free Win 10 upgrade, and I said yes (but then I'd not seen anything that says one way or the other regarding Win 7 upgrades...

So, can somebody point me to a resource that says yes or no?

Thanks

As far as I know it says FREE to Windows 7 SP1 users and Windows 8.1 update users.
It does not say anything about how you went about arriving at either of those two configurations.
This http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq
Is the most comprehensive Q&A that I've found regarding most things Windows 10, if it's not in there then I'm not sure where you would find a definitive resource.

So I am out of luck with my little old testing AspireOne netbook, once with Windows7 Starter -XP1?

Hi Dave,
It is not an illegal copy, it is the Starter version of Windows 7, that once came with 'minimal' notebooks, that worries me...
I am currently using that thing for testing W10, and it looks great!

Thanks for your reaction,
Henk

I believe there will be two non-enterprise versions of Windows 10. If that is the case, probably your system will fit into one of the categories.

I don't think even Microsoft knows the final answer to these types of questions. But something to keep in mind, they want as many folks as possible to move to the new OS and may be very willing to allow variances to stated policy.

Here is a guide to going to Windows 10.

Capture.PNG

Hi Dave,
It is not an illegal copy, it is the Starter version of Windows 7, that once came with 'minimal' notebooks, that worries me...
I am currently using that thing for testing W10, and it looks great!

Thanks for your reaction,
Henk
My post wasn't directed at you, Bochane. I apologise for any misunderstanding. It was for the general reader.

Were it half true, that pirated copies would be upgraded, and licenced, free of charge, then, imho, the internet would be very busy right now with all users in the know, downloading their pirated ultimate or pro versions, only in order to upgrade.. Just my opinion.

My post wasn't directed at you, Bochane. I apologise for any misunderstanding. It was for the general reader.

Were it half true, that pirated copies would be upgraded, and licenced, free of charge, then, imho, the internet would be very busy right now with all users in the know, downloading their pirated ultimate or pro versions, only in order to upgrade.. Just my opinion.
Thanks Dave, I should have understood that it was a general remark, sorry.

Anyway, I could reserve an upgrade!

I have Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 build 7601 64 bit, but there is no icon for the Get Windows 10 app in my taskbar. Windows was installed on my pc by the company who built it, Scan.co.uk, and appears to be genuine. Any ideas why the icon is missing, please?

The icon appeared a few days ago on my Spro 3 (Surface Pro 3).

Thanks for any advice.

No suggestions/advice?

Last edited:
Back