Windows 7 Mouse is not feeling well

PattiChati

All of a sudden I am having trouble with my mouse. I click on something and it won't work until I do it several times. If I click on a box, it won't do it either until I do it a couple of times. Any ideas. It is a dell mouse that came with the computer. It has a red light on the bottom so I don't think there is any way to clean it out. Thanks.

Since you did not mention it, have you changed the batteries? If it isn't wireless, could something else be interferring, like some utility running or some task being done, keeping the system busy?

Since you did not mention it, have you changed the batteries? If it isn't wireless, could something else be interferring, like some utility running or some task being done, keeping the system busy?

It is a wired mouse and I haven't added anything, software or hardware that would change anything I don't thing. Thanks.

Look and see exactly what model mouse it is, and download the latest software for it.
A lot of the time just re-installing the software will fix issues like this.

You could also uninstall the mouse in Device Manger and reboot.
Windows will re-install it with default drivers when you restart.

Last edited:
Look and see exactly what model mouse it is, and download the latest software for it.
A lot of the time just re-installing the software will fix issues like this.

You could also uninstall the mouse in Device Manger and reboot.
Windows will re-install it with default drivers when you restart.

I can see the dpin and the s/n, but if there is a model number on it, I just can't see it.Which one in device manager do I uninstall? Don't want to uninstall the wrong one, which I have done before!!!!!!!!

You want to uninstall the one that says "HID compliant Optical Mouse". Look at it in the Device Manager, it should be a brand name one, with it's own installed driver. Like Logitech, for example.

Cat

Try cleaning it out, every now and then my mouse has a bunch of gunk so about every 2 weeks I have to clean it out.

Maybe it's just me that gets this problem with my mouse, a Sidewinder X8.

I blow mine out from time to time with the same can of air that I use for general computer cleaning. Usually, I get a pack of 2, because 1 isn't enough for 4 computers.

Give it a few blasts in the grooves with the air. If you feel confident enough, there's a screw on the bottom of the mouse that you can remove. That way, you can clean it really good.

Cat

Try cleaning it out, every now and then my mouse has a bunch of gunk so about every 2 weeks I have to clean it out.

Maybe it's just me that gets this problem with my mouse, a Sidewinder X8.

My mouse is completely enclosed so I don't have to clean it, but thank you.

You want to uninstall the one that says "HID compliant Optical Mouse". Look at it in the Device Manager, it should be a brand name one, with it's own installed driver. Like Logitech, for example.

Cat

Thank you, that worked, my mouse is feeling a lot better:frown:

Glad that Mike's & my advice helped you.

Many times, it's simple stuff like this that fixes many issues.

Cat

Back