Windows 7 Moving / copying just suddenly stops

jimhoyle

I'm experiencing a critical bug or quirk in moving/copying files. It happens for example like this: I just want to move a directory, say 5-15GB, including a couple of movies or something. I have the source folder open and the destination folder open. So those two windows sit there and I start moving (for example by cut & paste method). The transfer progress window normally appears and everything is normal. Now, if I just close the source folder window, things go wrong. It still moves for say a minute, but then, suddenly without notice, the transfer progress window just disappears as if I pressed Cancel.

I just tested this carefully and I just closed the source folder window and made a Thunderbird window active (while TB was doing nothing). After a few seconds, the transfer window just disappeared and the file transfer was cut; the file in progress vanished from destination just as if the transfer was canceled. I did not touch mouse or keyboard and nothing visible happened on my computer.

I don't think this problem ever occurs if I let the source and destination window sit there until the end of the transfer.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm pretty sure this is not normal behavior, especially since source and destination are just normal internal hard drives without any disruption or disconnection.

Last edited:
Hi

I haven't seen this, (I guess I always leave both windows open until it's done) but what happens if you just minimize the source window instead of closing it.

I just tried it, I opened two Explorer windows side by side, I clicked on a 12 gigabyte folder and copied it to the C:\Temp file.

I then closed first the source folder and then after a while the destination folder and the process continued to the end.

The problem is that I don't have any idea of how to trouble shoot this.

For now I unless someone else has some idea I would try just minimizing the window instead of closing it.

If I find any info I'll come back with a link.

Mike

Jimhoyle,

I have the same problem. Did you ever find resolution to this issue?

Thank you,

BW78

the problem happened from which time? Maybe you forbid some important Windows kernel programs at that time.

Hi

Sorry I got an email about this and thought that it was in response to another post.

So I started to answer before I realized that it was about a different copy and paste issue, then the one that I was having myself in this forum.

Did you try just minimizing the window?

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom