Windows 7 Moving my audio VST .Dll 's from XP to Windows 7 without re installing each

natewillmusic

I'm in the process of moving my audio VST .Dll 's from XP to Windows 7 without re installing each. I'm trying to copy and paste from my old xp VST plug in location to my new Windows 7 dedicated HDD. IF I do this, where in the registry can I go to in order for my plug ins to know where their data files are. Since there will be no registry entries for these VST plug ins i'd be pasting over, is there a way I can import them from my xp registry or write them in myself ? Re installing all my free and bought plug ins is not an option believe me...i have too much sessiond to have time to re install (omnisphere, atmosphere, trillian, NI Kore, etc).

Does anybody know the necessary steps I should take ? Like where are the common places to find where VST's look for the location of their accompanied data ? I heard some VST's have the data location right inside the .Dll, is that true ?

This will work only if the .dll file can be registered.

that will create the proper registry entries.

Here's an example from the Run box:
regsvr32 "E:\Program Files\Acala DVD Ripper Professional\viscomwave.dll"

The quotes are need if the path contains spaces.

If the .dll's are in the C:\windows or C:\Windows\System32, no quotations are needed.

This will work only if the .dll file can be registered.

that will create the proper registry entries.

Here's an example from the Run box:
regsvr32 "E:\Program Files\Acala DVD Ripper Professional\viscomwave.dll"

The quotes are need if the path contains spaces.

If the .dll's are in the C:\windows or C:\Windows\System32, no quotations are needed.

Ok great so do I register the .dll's after I move them to the new location ? And when I register them, where will i able to change the location of where to look for the data files that accompany these .dll's in a different location ? (i.e. my Native Instruments Kore .dll would be located in C:\Program Files\Vstplugins, but the data for this plug in would be located in D:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kore\Data\ (which is a new location from where it was previously installed because i copied and pasted all the data files into this new location for Windows 7 hdd) ...Where would I edit the .dll file to look in this new location for its accompanying data files ?

Registering the dll may put the path in, but I can't be sure.

Why don't you test it on your XP install and see if the .dlls self-register.

If it does, you should see a message stating DLL Server in "whatever.dll succeeded.

You might as well test it here before moving the files

I get this error: " Trilogy.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. The file can not be registered." What does that mean ?

*I tried it for a couple other plug ins which didnt have much data that went along with it, and still got the error.

But some simple plug ins that i copied and pasted over did work in windows 7 x64

Last edited:
I'm unfamiliar withe the format.

The files are not registering correctly but you say thy are working.

I'd say it would be safe to copy the files over.Make a note of the banes, just in case.

I'm unfamiliar withe the format.

The files are not registering correctly but you say thy are working.

I'd say it would be safe to copy the files over.Make a note of the banes, just in case.

Yea some work and others who have data files in other locations can't find their data. One thing that is common is that all the actual plug ins load, but the data that the plug ins use wont load. So I'm assumming that somewhere in the plug in its looking in the wrong directory for its data files.

Are you thinking about moving all your 3rd party applications to the Windows 7 installation?

I will change my registry key to look for my vst's in my new directory and see what happens. hopefully somehow it allows my plug ins to correctly find their data directories.

Update:
Checked it out, it only changes where the default location of windows installers automatically try to install new VST .dll's

and it already was pointing to the new location of where I want my .dlls to be

Last edited:
I will change my registry key to look for my vst's in my new directory and see what happens. hopefully somehow it allows my plug ins to correctly find their data directories.
OK, just make sure to export the key to your desktop for safe keeping or make a note of the actual value before you change it so you can reverse the process if it proves a problem

Heck, well I thought it would be worth a try. I must admit that I'm a bit over my head on this topic, like I said, I just found the other post and was hopeful that it might prove useful. Sorry it wasn't any help

Well I must thank you for leading me in the right direction, I will learn more about the exact details of the registry entries that a vst plug-in .dll needs to function and hopefully get to my solution. In the meantime if you know anybody who knows extensively about plug-in installions and the registry entries that they create, please forward my case to them thank you.

The four programs he mentioned in an earlier post Trillian, Omnisphere and Atmosphere can be found here
Spectrasonics

Do all these programs us the vst files?

Which on in particular is he using?

Downloading 4 programs is a bit too much.

Last edited:
Back