Mozilla has released Version 68.0 of the Firefox browser.
July 9, 2019
Version 68.0, first offered to Release channel users on July 9, 2019
Today, we release two versions of Firefox 68 — a rapid release as well as an Extended Support Release (ESR).
We'd like to extend a special thank you to all of the new Mozillians who contributed to this release of Firefox!
- Dark mode in reader view expands so that windows are also dark on the controls, sidebars and toolbars.
- Improved extension security and discovery:
- New reporting feature in about:addons allows you to report security and performance issues with extensions and themes.
- Redesigned extensions dashboard in about:addons provides easy access to information about your extensions, including data and settings access required by each extension.
- Find high quality, secure extensions via the Recommended Extensions program in about:addons, which now displays user count and ratings for each extension. "Recommended” badges for these extensions also appear on AMO. More extensions will be added over time.
- Cryptomining and fingerprinting protections are added to strict content blocking settings in Privacy & Security preferences.
- WebRender will roll out to Windows 10 users with AMD graphics cards.
- Windows Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) update download support, which allows Firefox update downloads to continue when Firefox is closed.
- Various security fixes
- Local files can no longer access other files in the same directory.
- Unified existing locales (bn-BD, bn-IN) under a single Bengali (bn) localization.
- The following unmaintained translations have been removed: Assamese (as), English - South Africa (en-ZA), Maithili (mai), Malayalam (ml), Odia (or). Existing users will be migrated to the British English (en-GB) version.
- When an HTTPS error caused by antivirus software is detected, Firefox will attempt to automatically fix it
- Camera and microphone access now require an HTTPS connection.
- The way non-default preferences are synced has changed. Please see this support article for more details