Windows 10 MP4 audio plays on phone but not PC

Kitcat

I have 2 files one from 6/26/19 and the other is from 6/27/19.
All MP4 videos i take before the 1st date play audio everything else I've taken after then has no audio playback for me on my PC.
I can open any of the files on my phone and hear it in which ever media place Ive put it [Facebook/Discord] but when trying to watch/listen on PC i hear nothing.
i wont be posting the files since they are.... lewd in nature

Perhaps what happened is your Phone received an update which changed the audio codec used in its MP4 files. Or perhaps your computer has an issue now with the installed codec's and its missing one that allowed it to play the files back.

Some options to try:

1. Install VLC Media Player and see if it will play back the file with the codecs it includes.
  2. If you run MediaInfo on the file it will tell you which codec is required to play back the file. If you reply with a screenshot of its findings perhaps I can help you install that specific codec.
  3. Install K-Lite Codec Pack which includes tons of codecs and perhaps one of them will play your file back.

Thank you very much for the information

1. VLC Media will play the files with sound. I double checked the files not opend by VCL and they still did not have audio.
2. I have attached the screenshot of the [Current Media Information] while one of the files was open and playing

Attachments

• Media informaiton.JPG
    Media informaiton.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 149
It looks like the Audio within the MP4 file is in MP4A format, and will require a codec such as those included with K-Lite to play back within Windows Media Player.

I'm not certain but I wonder if the HEVC playback codec in the Windows Store would also allow Media Player to play them, maybe try that first if you really need Media Player support.

Last edited:
There might be some changes like a minor update on your phone, leading to the audio codec changed or not supported. You can use a media converter to transcode your files to common used audio and video codec like H.264+AAC MP4.

Back