Windows 7 MS Optical Mouse

billyc99

Honorable Member
Hello gang, it has been awhile since i visited this great forum...absence makes the heart grow fonder...right? I, am running Win7 Pro on my desktop machine and am recently experiencing unreliable action from my optical mouse...takes off on it's own...like a rocket. i am not a rocket scientist. I tried rolling back driver's...checked for most recent drivers etc. still seem to have the same problem. Possibly a hardware glitz...? The mouse/keyboard combo (wireless) are only a couple of years old. Did the battery check etc. Any ideas out there from this great group...syrupy I know. Cheers and beers to all:eek:

Did you clean the optics of any fuzz balls?

Have you checked the mouse panel to adjust sensitivity?

I would have first suggested changing the battery, but it looks like you did that.

Are there any buttons on the mouse that control sensitivity?

Could anything be interferring with the wireless signal?

Have you tried a wired mouse to test?

couple of years old usually means time for the bin

maybe something is interfering, as Salt says, (another wireless device) maybe from the neighbourhood?

revisiting this problem that i am having with my Optical Mouse. I've cleaned the optics, checked sensitivity, signal receiver appears to be good as the i have no problems with keyboard. I have tried using a wired mouse and have the same problems. I ran a virus scan with negative results thinking that possible i contracted a virus that was making my mouse go bonkers. any ideas? cheers and beers

By "takes off on it's own" you mean randomly moves across the screen?
This has happened to me before, every time turns out to be a hardware fault/problem.
Of course, you could always upgrade to a new one with Microsoft BlueTrack technology, the power or laser and optical joined together.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

As Saltgrass has suggested, look for other wireless interference such as a router, cordless phone, your neighbors router, your other neighbors router.. :D

Oh and welcome back to the forums, :)

Do you have to mouse set to automatically change focus (Snap To)?

Can you pin the movement down to anything else? Does the mouse move completely on its own if it is just sitting on the desktop? When it moves, does it hesitate first and then maybe catch up?

Are these all USB devices and have you checked for a driver for that? Tried a different port?

I cannot think of something that would make the mouse move in a strange manner unless something was requiring it to or an erronous signal was coming from another device. If the replacement mouse does the same thing, if you are not using the same USB port, then it must be something on your system.

I find that the automatic movement seems to begin about 3~10 minutes after a pc session has begun. I did neglect to say, the mouse actually begins scrolling on it's own...scroll only doesn't move around the screen. I plugged in a wired optical and the same movement happens. checked for viruses...none found. Keyboard works fine. I now believe you are correct in saying that it must be something in my system. I'll try disconnecting the receiver completely, reboot and see what happens. cheers and beers

Agent Data, not sure that i understand what you mean by "create a new user"...still a bit new at this cyber world. i am going to disconnect the receiver and see what happens. i'll post back after that effort. cheers and beers...maybe just time to upgrade my mobo, proc, and ram + as was suggested by Capt Mitch...go for the gold with new technology...hoohyah...will keep you all posted.

Keep us posted.
Early in the morning yet here, sorry if I missed this but have you tried running via a wired mouse? via PS2 port or just USB?

Back