Windows 7 Multiple account suggestions

chobo

Hi, I am finally going to be installing Windows 7 Ultimate and I would love to hear suggestions on how I can setup my computer so I have a regular account and a developer account. I would like to format either account without affecting the other? I'm not sure if this would require dual boot.

My accounts would look like this:

Developer: (for web development)
-
Visual Studio
- SQL Server
- developer tools, etc...
- mulitple browsers

Standard account: (for other non-developer activities, games, browsing, etc..)

The reason I came up with this is because I would like to be able to backup my developer account easily so I can save programs and configurations without having all the other non-developer programs mixed in. It takes a long time to install all these programs and to configure them to work.

Thanks!

It takes a long time to install all these programs and to configure them to work.
Couldn't agree more but if you make regular use of imaging using something like Acronis True Image and if you also maintain your system drive for op sys and apps only, keeping all user data on a separate drive or partition then you don't have to worry about having all on a single user account - bakup and restore is a few minutes job.

Full trial copy of Acronis True Image from here:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I currently use Ghost for backups and keep my documents on a separate drive, but I want to create a separate account or boot for my developer account and keep those things completely separate. I'm not sure if making a separate account is the way to go or if I need two copies of windows installed?

I guess to sum it up. I would like to be able to format / delete either account without having the other affected.

backup my developer account easily so I can save programs and configurations without having all the other non-developer programs mixed in
then the only way to do that would be dual boot otherwise they both share the same drive and place everything in same windows folder and program files folder. Both would also see the other drive but with my dual boot when I done it each time I boot the one becomes C and the other goes to next available, guess you could hide other drive.

I develop also and finally gave up on saving separate, just make sure I backup whats important. I acronis my 7 drive with nothing installed but acronis then use my own program to install all my Apps so I can pick and choose. But I been doing that a long time and have made silent installers for it.

I'd recommend Acronis also so you can save each step like 1. all develop tools installed. 2. games stuff 3. both
and then save everything from develop to separate drive

Takes time to figure out your best strategy for you

Back