Windows 10 Multiple BSOD's Windows 10

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck EF, {ffffe000da8bd7c0, 0, 0, 0}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : csrss.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
the above bugcheck means a critical process died which could well be down to your drivers. Which drivers did you update as the dates seem the same as the earlier dump files.
You also had a bugcheck 9F which means a driver reached an invalid power state.
Try running memtest86 anyway
Also pop into the advanced power settings and make sure hybrid sleep is enabled if your using it.

Regarding heat, it's always best to keep your machine as dust free as possible. Whether the bsod was heat related or not it's always worth chasing those dust bunnies away.

Hi kemical,

I ran memtest86x overnight which reported no errors after 8 passes. I've also enabled hybrid sleep in the power settings which was disabled for both battery and ac power.

Yesterday, I "thought" I'd reinstalled the drivers by downloading all the major drivers from the Dell website and running their respective setup programs. I'm not sure I did this correctly though - do you have to uninstall the previous drivers first?

I'll research the best way of uninstalling and re-installing the drivers and get back to you once I've done that if I then get any more crashes.

BTW where are you looking in that data file to know that my driver dates haven't changed? I've just uninstalled and then re-installed my graphics driver and then ran the W7T Diagnostic tools to get a new driver list. In driver.txt none of the drivers have got today's date under link address though?

Thanks again, Damian

do you have to uninstall the previous drivers first?
Yes.
I would make a system restore point first though before updating like this

BTW where are you looking in that data file to know that my driver dates haven't changed

If you run a certain command in the debugger then you can see which drivers were being used.

none of the drivers have got today's date under link address though?
Those drivers on your webpage are only like a year older in some cases than the drivers your already running so no you will not see a recent date. This is what I was trying to tell you that your only driver updates are for windows 7 and are quite old possibly too old for win 10. Your system may have run fine at first but you only need to have a few updates to change the os slightly and it can lead to issues.
Can you remember if windows updated around the time of the start of the issue?

Hi kemical,

The fault had already started before the recent windows update.

After updating my graphics card driver last night (properly this time!), I've had no more crashes, and very few alerts in the administrative events in the event viewer! The only alerts I'm getting now happen when I first boot up and seem to be common faults and do not seem to be effecting the performance.

I've got a few more days to make sure that this has solved the problem and then will be buying an SSD and doing a clean WIN10 install then onto that. I'm loathed to buy another laptop as this one is fine for what I use it for (mainly web-browsing) when it's not crashing.

I'm really grateful for all your help, sorry it took me so long to sort it out.

Thanks again, Damian

I must have missed your last post for some reason.

Your very welcome Damien and if issues should return then please post back. The only thing i worry about regarding your future plans is the fact you do not have access to windows 10 drivers. If you can and before you do anything please try and create and save a system image of your old set up.
How to Create a System Image in Windows 7, 8, or 10

Thanks kemical, I've already made a system image and also am getting a caddy for the hdd that's running at the moment. If I have problems doing a clean install of WIN10, I can hopefully either use the system restore, or clone my current hard drive onto the ssd. Since I updated the graphics driver I've had no more crashes so you were spot on about it being a driver issue. Thanks once again, I'll let you know how the migration to the ssd and win10 goes.

Hi kemical,

I thought I'd let you know how my clean install of Windows 10 on my Dell Studio 1558 went in case anyone else is thinking of doing it. Well, it couldn't have gone any better really. I was planning on having to reinstall all the drivers manually and had carefully backed them all up just in case I needed them. As it turned out, Win10 installed all my drivers for me apart from the Ricoh card reader.
I thought I'd let it run and see how it went, and so far so good - I've been hammering it all day reinstalling everything and haven't had one crash/stall. If I run into problems, I'll try updating the drivers from the Dell website, but it's looking like I won't need to. I just hope it doesn't mess up with any future Win10 updates.
The ssd has made a huge difference, everything is much faster especially things like opening word documents (<1 second), opening photoshop CS5 (~8 seconds) and web browsing. It feels like I've got a new laptop!

Thanks again for your help,

Damian

Hey that's fantastic Damian! Thank you for updating your thread too. Good luck and any problems post back.. :)

Back
Top Bottom