Windows 10 Multiple Random BSODs (Post OS Reinstall)

Beanholio

Hello,

I purchased a new computer back in December and began to have intermittent BSOD errors ~6-8 weeks later (probably around 8-9 crashes in a 3 day period). Assuming a potential hardware issue, I loaded up a USB drive with Ultimate Boot CD and ran hardware diagnostics overnight. No issues were found during the hardware diagnostic runs. Since the diagnostics may not be able to properly test VRAM, I ran a looping video benchmark program for ~3 hours at Ultra settings to put the graphics card through it's paces but no crash or error occurred.

The system went ~3-4 weeks without error after these tests but then had 5 more in a single day. The errors appear in bursts; sometimes the system will have 2-3 in a row before being able to boot successfully. After running some additional hardware diagnostics, removing hardware, uninstalling drivers, file system scans, chkdsk, and every possible registry and file integrity check Microsoft has devised, I decided to reinstall the operating system since all of my troubleshooting did nothing to solve the issue.

Three days after complete OS reinstall from scratch, I had two hard freezes (no logs, no dumps, manual reboot required) and one BSOD (with a failed dump on 5/13), another BSOD on 5/14, and three BSODs in a row this morning (all minidumps are attached). The BSOD error messages vary and WinDBG doesn't provide any clarity into the root cause (that I can see).

Aside from the motherboard possibly being the culprit I have no idea what might be causing this. I'd like to 100% rule out software issues before logging an issue with the manufacturer to start swapping out hardware.

Please let me know if I need to provide any additional information.

Thanks!

Attachments

• W7F_15-05-2019.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 231
Hi,
most of your dump files were bugcheck 3b (memory access violation) and Bugcheck 1A (severe memory management issue).

This may mean that you have some faulty RAM. I know you say it's very new but unfortunately even brand new RAM can sometimes be faulty.

You'll need to check your RAM for errors.

The best application for this is Memtest86.

This tests the RAM outside of the windows environment and is basically the industry standard.

You'll need to download the app, create either a usb or disk to boot from and then test your RAM overnight (12hrs is the ideal figure).

This guide will help somewhat:
How to Test PC RAM with MemTest86

Hi,
most of your dump files were bugcheck 3b (memory access violation) and Bugcheck 1A (severe memory management issue).

This may mean that you have some faulty RAM. I know you say it's very new but unfortunately even brand new RAM can sometimes be faulty.

You'll need to check your RAM for errors.

The best application for this is Memtest86.

This tests the RAM outside of the windows environment and is basically the industry standard.

You'll need to download the app, create either a usb or disk to boot from and then test your RAM overnight (12hrs is the ideal figure).

This guide will help somewhat:
How to Test PC RAM with MemTest86

Thank you for the reply - I appreciate it. I ran memtest86 from a USB stick for ~16 hours at the end of March and everything came back fine. I reseated the RAM sticks (2x8GB) but still had issues. I then moved the sticks to the other slots on the MOBO but the issue persists.

I take it your using xmp?

If so try turning it off and see if makes a difference.

Also if you can repeat the bsod at a certain point you could try testing with a stick removed (assuming you have two). If it bsod's, swap them round and try the other. I only mention this because sometimes memtest won't catch RAM errors and this is just another way of testing.

Have you checked for Bios updates?

Have you made any changes to the pagefile?

Back