Windows 7 My hard drive is stopping my computer from booting D=

Caustic

When I have the drive plugged in, Windows gets to the to the 'Starting Windows' page, hangs, and then restarts after about five minutes. Unplug it, and everything works normally. This drive has all of my movies, pictures, and of course: my entire life. Does anyone have any bright ideas on how I can extract the data from the drive?

I can boot my Windows 7 disk with the drive in, so I was thinking maybe an Ubuntu Live disk would work for moving the files over to a healthy drive...? Any other ideas are appreciated, the data on the drive is vital.

I'm using three 500GB Seagate Barracudas (one of which is the failing-drive) one 750GB HD and one TB HD.

Also, does anyone know the URL to the website which downloads multiple installers for you after a reformat?

Did this start happening after your system was normal for a period of time?

Do you have another computer you could try it in?

You could try the Live CD, but you computer may not boot with the bad drive installed.

If all else fails, you might thing about getting an external enclosure and put the drive in that. Perhaps if you plug it in after boot, it might be recognized.

You might do some research on putting the drive in cold storage (like a freezer) for a while before you try to boot it. I have not done this, but perhaps your research will help.

Did this start happening after your system was normal for a period of time?

Do you have another computer you could try it in?

You could try the Live CD, but you computer may not boot with the bad drive installed.

If all else fails, you might thing about getting an external enclosure and put the drive in that. Perhaps if you plug it in after boot, it might be recognized.

You might do some research on putting the drive in cold storage (like a freezer) for a while before you try to boot it. I have not done this, but perhaps your research will help.

The computer was working normally for a period of time before this occured.

Thanks for the ideas.

Back