Windows 10 My HP compaq desktop turns on but my monitor says "no signal" Help!!

digiman2372

Hello everyone! so I am currently in Europe and I had my desktop computer mailed to me from the USA. When I try to boot it
it up, nothing is displayed on the monitor besides "no signal". I thought maybe the HDMI cable was loose but it was not.
I thought that maybe the graphics card was not seated well but it was seated in all the way. I then tried using a VGA cable
to see if I could see anything on the monitor but still no luck. I tried reseating the RAM and all the plugs/connections and
no luck still. Then I tried to to reset the motherboard CMOS by taking out the battery and still no luck. I connected my laptop
to my monitor so I know the monitor is working.

Now, based on all the troubleshoot videos I have seen, there are three things that can be the problem. I will order them from least likely to most likely, here we go.

1. I still have not tried booting the desktop without the graphics card installed, but somthing tells me that this is not the issue.

2. there is hardware damage due to the mistreatment of my desktop on its trip from the USA to Europe.

3. the desktop is not getting enough power to boot, only enough to turn the fans on, etc.

I say this because I am using a European to American power adapter. the adapter I am using is a "type C" adapter, and
on it, it has written "10A max 250V~"

my desktop is an HP compaq from 2015 and on the power supply it reads "AC input 100-240 V-/4 A,50-60 Hz" then "DC output
shall not exceed 240 W"

and on the actual power cord to the power suppy reads "10A 125V"

I bought a new European powercord but it reads " 10A 250V" can I still use it?

What do you guys think is going on?

*one important thing I should note is that my desktop seems to take a little longer to start up than usual and it is working harder and louder than ususal but no bleeping noises or anything coming form it*

First of all, why are you not connecting your computer directly to the power outlet (220-240V)?
Nowadays, all power supplies are able to work at any input voltage from 100V to 240V, including those found in displays.
The new power cable you bought is the only thing you need, you do not need the power converter from eu to us. What about the power supply for you display? You will also need a new power cable for it to fit the eu standard.
If the display worked fine when connected to your laptop, then there's no problem with it.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

thanks for replying GDany. I have not been plugging it directly in the wall because there are no american outlets here, only european. I already had two eu ti us adapters with me so I had no need to buy a european power cord up until now for troubleshooting reasons. that being said, I have now tried plugging it in directly to the wall with the new european power cord and no luck. I have also removed the graphics card and no luck. the display works just fine as I can currently use it with my laptop and the eu to us adapter.

is it safe to say that my desktop was damaged during the trip? I did perform a factory reset before I packed it for the trip, but that shouldnt be the problem right?

thanks for replying GDany. I have not been plugging it directly in the wall because there are no american outlets here, only european. I already had two eu to us adapters with me so I had no need to buy a european power cord up until now for troubleshooting reasons. that being said, I have now tried plugging it in directly to the wall with the new european power cord and no luck. I have also removed the graphics card and no luck. the display works just fine as I can currently use it with my laptop and the eu to us adapter.

is it safe to say that my desktop was damaged during the trip? I did perform a factory reset before I packed it for the trip, but that shouldnt be the problem right?

……
I really don't think that your computer could be damaged during transport, especially that you packed it for the trip.
But who knows?
Another thing you could try, in case the motherboard has an empty slot suitable for the graphics card, is to plug it in that slot.
You said you tried to connect the display with a vga cable instead of the hdmi cable. Did it work?
And one more thing: if the computer's cpu has an integrated gpu, then you could disconnect the graphics card and see if the display works with the integrated gpu.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Back