Windows 7 My mouse keeps jumping round my screen?

wahSmadA

When I move my mouse left and right fast it jumps up and down the screen randomly. I have tried using a different mouse mat, plugging it into a different usb plug and on another computer. I have a Gigabyte M6900 and my dpi is 800.
Thanks for any help.

Edit:
The mouse is about 2 years old, i've used it quite a lot.
I've also cleaned it now, there's no noticeable change. I was also told to uninstall the mouse drivers but it came with none.

Last edited:
Hi,
make sure no dust is actually on the sensor underneath as the cursor will like you say jump around or act all weird. (I use a small clean paintbrush to keep it clean) How old is the mouse itself?

This happens often with me and typically a quick look shows yet another dog hair or eyelash is in the way. Since the LED/Laser is covered by an optical lens, you don't want to scratch it. So if a brush is used I would recommend a super soft camera lens brush.

But since the lens on many mice are recessed deep in the access hole, as it is on my mouse, I just give it quick blast with a can of dusting gas. Note while the description says, "canned air", it is not air. So don't breath it.

I have tried a different mouse mat, usb plug and computer
I am a bit confused here. Are saying two different mice jump on two different computers?

So, the mouse jumps around on a different computer as well as your main computer?

Cleaning the mouse may help, but you didn't say whether it was a "ball mouse" or a "laser mouse"? Cleaning techniques are just about the same for both. If the mouse fails on 2 different computers, then the mouse is dead. Replace it. You can buy a new mouse for $10 at your local computer store or retailer (staples, walmart) and test your computer. If it works fine, the old one is dead and needs to be recycled, or let your cat play with it.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Mice seem to be gone when they are gone. You might try a friend's mouse in your computer, but I doubt the benefit. In Finland it has 2 years warranty, you may have a chance there, don't know the situation where you live or bought it?

With perseverance, you might get a new mouse. It's a small deal for any retailer or manufacturer, sometimes they do show pure mercy. You may try. But don't make too many phone calls, since they may cost you as much as a new mouse.

The OP seems to be a drive-by poster. Note his one and only post on this site was April 26 starting this thread, never to return.

The question of so-called necro-posting, I know it from my time as a UESP moderator, it was a big deal. I'm not even hinting that you, Digerati, make it a big deal. You're quite right in your comment.

Sometimes people disappear, to appear again. Sometimes old topics or questions include something that may be helpful for others. I wouldn't say, three weeks means "never returning". A normal year holiday in Finland is four weeks, combined with other leave it may well go to six or eight weeks, with no problem - not to mention a sick leave!

I've always thought that older topics could be moved to Archives or something after, say three or six months. They should be available and active as such if possible, but they shouldn't take unnecessary space, in order to keep living living.

I agree, but to me, it is up to the OP to dredge up their own "dormant" posts, not responders.

And I also agree that older topics moved to Archives would be nice, but that would take a considerable amount of effort and time on the part of the staff. And these forums are managed by volunteers who are already contributing a lot of their own free time keeping it running smoothly and peacefully. Plus, in effect, when older posts are allowed get old, they become more or less archived as they drop down the list and off the page - unless dredged up again.

But more importantly, as threads are moved to different forums, links and redirects must be maintained, or broken and that makes database management much more complex, adds complexity to backups, and more.

And I agree people do go on vacation, get sick and even die. But I do note, in this case, the OP received two replies on the same day of his opening post, the same day he joined this site. And he came back at least once to edit his post. So unless he died, it appears he just decided not to return again.

So IMHO, if an OP has posted his problem and received helpful advice, but has allowed several weeks to pass with out returning, it is best to just let the thread remain dormant and fade away on its own.

So IMHO, if an OP has posted his problem and received helpful advice, but has allowed several weeks to pass with out returning, it is best to just let the thread remain dormant and fade away on its own.
Exactly.

Although threads are never closed. Users can come back and revisit their own threads if need be and the problem is re-occurring. This is particularly helpful in bsod threads for example. Also it maintains a record on what has been tried already.

I'm fine with you both, Digerati and kemical. I also know the effort of volunteers. My thought is, can't the removal be automated? Not needing moderator or admin actions - do remember, I'm a layman, this may sound not-so-very-professional. Probably mostly my own problem, trying to figure problem solving! :rolleyes:

There is no need Pauli. We leave threads alone simply for the reasons I outlined above. If someone wants to come along and answer the thread without reading the date it was posted then that's up to them. Also don't forget that many of these threads can be found via search engines and are or can be particularly helpful to someone with the same issue.
Ultimately they are best left well alone and accessible to all.

Back
Top Bottom