Windows 7 My New Build is Freezing

DeathCubeKX

Hello everyone. I am having issues with my computer freezing. It's not frequent but it and it happens pretty much whenever it wants. I can be rendering a video in Premiere Pro CS5.5 or just downloading something with the system completely idle. I check the Windows Event Logs after every time I reset the machine and there's no errors at the time of the crash. At the time the computer rebooted it says the last system shutdown was unexpected.

I ran Memtest86+ 4.2.0 and it came up with no errors. I also ran 3DMark Vantage, I know it's not really a stability test but I wanted to see if it would cause it to freeze, which it didn't. But then I ran Prime95 on a stress test and it causes the machine to freeze after the 640K Self-Test passes everytime I run it.
IMG_0038.jpg
Above is a picture of where the computer freezes everytime I run Prime95, couldn't take a proper screenshot since the PC was frozen.

I even went as far as doing a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate to see if my install could be the issue, which it wasn't. Could it be a CPU issue? Overheating or a CPU issue itself? Or could it be a memory issue even though Memtest returned no errors? Or even a power supply issue? I have enough money to drop on a new PSU or cooler for the CPU but I really don't want to have to buy a new CPU.

I built this machine in May and it seemed to perfect after the initial setup. The system specs are on my About Me page. If you need any more info just ask. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know how to mark my thread as solved but it turns out it was my cheapo Firewire card. I was going to try eliminating RAM issues but I suspected that it could be my Firewire card. So I pulled the card and ran Prime95 again and it passed through the 8K test so I guess my computers fine.

I was having issue before with a FireWire audio interface making the computer freeze but when I unplugged it the freezing stopped. But then it started freezing no matter what.

Well, it is common troubleshooting practice to remove anything not needed, but that was a good call.

Back
Top Bottom