Windows 7 My Windows\assembyl\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\Temp dir has 12 GB !!!!

pstein

Extraordinary Member
An investigation of my 64bit Win 7 systems shows that the folder

C:\Windows\assembyl\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\Temp\

has almost 12 GB content. I have never seen such a big space occupation before (for a Windows "Temp")
directory. I must have bloated in the last weeks.

What could be the reason?

Is it because of recent updates?

The "little brother" C:\Windows\assembyl\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\
is 650 MB big.

Can I delete the content of these "Temp" directories?

Peter

Peter,

It should be safe to delete the contents of this folder, it's used for the .NET Global Assembly Cache (GAC). I would leave the folder itself alone, just delete the contents. Worse thing that could happen is .NET breaks, and a reinstall of it should resolve that problem. (You don't actually need .NET unless you have applications that require its framework to run)

You may also use the gacutil.exe command that's included with the Microsoft Windows Software Development Kit (SDK), however it's a bit more technical.. It can be found here: Gacutil.exe (Global Assembly Cache Tool)
A good start would be "gacutil /l", I personally would just stick with the above method.

I would also try running the dism cleanup command at an administrative command prompt:
dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded /hidesp

Please note that this will make any Windows Updates you've installed permanent, and clean up the Service Pack 1 uninstall as well. It may however clean up your Windows\WinSXS folder significantly (you should never manually muck around with this folder)

Thank you.

Just one more question: When I follow the gacutil link you mentioned then I can find the syntax but not a download link.

How can I download the gacutil.exe?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom