Windows 7 mystery surrounding dump file creation

By all means use a driver updater utility. BUT! Don't let it update your drivers. Very often there data bases are out of date. Use it to tell you then go look yourself (google is your friend!!).

Just remember Realtek and graphics related do a monthly update. Chipsets drivers not so often. Intel has a Driver update facility. AMD, not sure as I'm Intel!! If you could fill in your User Specs in your profile (click Settings at top of general screen of The Forum and then Edit profile in left hand column) I can give you some links to bookmark.

Hi Elmer,
As you mentioned my Laptop settings in my user profile. Its not complete because I don't know how to get some parameters of my laptop. I used CPU-Z to find my laptop internal details and fill up my user profile. I have attached CPU-Z reports as well. Also I have attached the updated driver list. Pls have a look at it and if possible, mention the outdated drivers because I am kind of having a tough time determining whether or not my drivers are up to date. Most of the driver update softwares appear inaccurate and fake. That's the problem.

Attachments

• cpuz1.jpg
    cpuz1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 306
  • cpuz2.jpg
    cpuz2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 277
  • cpuz3.jpg
    cpuz3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 323
  • cpuz4.jpg
    cpuz4.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 309
  • cpuz5.jpg
    cpuz5.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 351
  • cpuz6.jpg
    cpuz6.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 339
  • driver_list_updated.txt
    141.9 KB · Views: 411
Hi,

When looking at your spec's and noticed your 50c at Idle and 68c during load. This is a little on the high side. AMD recommend 50C full load 100% both cores. Can you check to see if any of the cooling vent's are blocked. Could you get wprime . Run the 1024M test and monitor your temps post them back here please can see if your overheatiing.

As far as I can see, there is no dust blockage on the vents. And yes, I will run the application you suggested and send back the reports.

Just for info. I once tried MagicISO on my 64bit system. Immediately gave me two BSOD's that I hadn't intentionally provoked. If you are after a virtual drive I'd personally suggest:
Link Removed - Invalid URL Very small at just over 1Mb installed and can emulate up to 18 drives.(My preference).
Link Removed - Invalid URL (The program is a trial but the drive emulation is free forever).
Virtual CloneDrive

• Download and install Driver Sweeper.
  • Uninstall your current Graphics setup through Programs and Features
  • Boot to Safe Mode
  • Run Driver Sweeper to clean up the remnants of your current Graphics set up.
  • Reboot to Normal Mode.
  • Install your new Graphics set up.

Links to your Realtek drivers. These get updated virtually every month.

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller v7.046

Realtek HD Audio R2.63

Trying to edit this post and it's coming out wrong. will try later! (DOH! Missed an " ] " out!!)

Last edited:
@nmsuk, I tried running wprime.exe but it was just saying that it was "processing" and it went on and on and did not come up with anything. Maybe should I give it another try? Does it a long time for the results to pop out from wprime?
@Elmar,
Are these the only stuff that are appearing outdated Any other stuff a bit outdated? And yes I will follow all your steps and let you know. So drive sweeper is used for a clean uninstall of drivers right if my inference is correct?

When it does that press the shift key. Sorry should have mentioned that. Give it ago and monitor your temps. The 1024M test should take a few minutes.

@Elmar,
Are these the only stuff that are appearing outdated Any other stuff a bit outdated?
Yes, everything else looking good.
So drive sweeper is used for a clean uninstall of drivers right if my inference is correct?
For your graphics drivers, yes. If you open DriverSweeper you'll see a list of items it can remove. Note that not all these items will be present on your system.

When it does that press the shift key. Sorry should have mentioned that. Give it ago and monitor your temps. The 1024M test should take a few minutes.

Hi nmsuk, thanks for giving gprime.exe...Atleast it helped me to figure out that my core is heating up too much. I followed your instructions. I pressed shift. Then the app started executing a bunch of threads. And I started monitoring my cpu and other temperatures through CPUID hD monitor. Initially the steady state temperature of the core was 55 degree celcius (131 degree Farenheit) and in the midst of gprime run, the temperature rose up to 95 degrees (203 degree farenheit). And Whoa!! I have never seen my core temperature so hot before. All the other temperatures were also pretty high. So does this point to something?

Yes, everything else looking good. For your graphics drivers, yes. If you open DriverSweeper you'll see a list of items it can remove. Note that not all these items will be present on your system.

@Elmer, I will report back after updating all drivers and uninstalling the old graphics driver through driversweeper. ( i understood from your statements that driversweeper is used for uninstalling the graphic driver in specific. )

Here are the screenshots that I took while I ran wprime. The core was absolutely flaming hot. And when the temperature got to around 99 degrees celcius, the screen froze and I got the usual bsod with the error code 0X00000F4. I have enclosed that screenshot as well. And followed by that, I got the operating system not found error on the black screen as always. Then that gets rectified once I power off and on a couple of times. That's the story so far.

And yes I forgot to add something. The gprime took quite a lot of time to complete. It was not quick by any means.

Attachments

• 23072011203.jpg
    23072011203.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 564
  • gprime.jpg
    gprime.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 320
  • heat.jpg
    heat.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Wprime is definately not quick, did confirm a cooling problem though. If your comfortable with taking the laptop apart you could check to see if the fans ok. If your not or it's still under warranty take in to be serviced.

Well, I need to get back and check if the warranty still holds good. I bought the laptop last year august end. And I think I need to buy the extended warranty from sony vaio. Well I am not too good with dismantling and examining stuff and so I would prefer getting it done by someone professional.

So the temps are high right or is it normal for amd cores to go this high if put under stress?

Well my quad core on a desktop never goes over 60c sits at the desktop at between 37-45c that's for a 125W cpu compared to your 25W cpu.

Last edited:
Back