Windows 10 Need administrator access

Bellabear

Hi I've been given a laptop from my previous employer as part of the redundancy. However I don't have admin user rights and want to clone the hard drive. Also need admin to change software going forward. The laptop had the companies domain settings and when I've tried to use guides online the options told to select aren't visible and must have been removed by IT with their configuration settings.
Everytime I try to change any settings the box requesting admin username and password pops up.
For several reasons I don't want to get in touch with my previous employer to help with this, and it's highly unlikely they would anyway.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think it is in the references of the forum to help you too much with the problem. Your best course of action is to contact the original user/owner, even if there is a problem area there!
But, assuming all is normal, why don't you just reinstall a fresh copy of Windows and go forward from there?

I want to retain the other software programs on the existing HD, hence the attempt and need to clone/mirror.

Unfortunately the previous company i worked for has not responded to my emails and calls for assistance.

There will almost certainly be potential issues with ownership, copyright, updating and I suspect the problems you are currently experiencing will never completely go away and be compounded by new ones and sooner or later you will decide a fresh start is needed. I would make the laptop yours and give yourself a clean start as Dave recommends.

Ok thanks.
Apologies that ive limited knowledge on how to go about this.
So I have a new NVMe SSD to replace the existing one. Can i simply replace the existing one with this and start again?
Any advice on the best way to do this and install windows 10, MS office etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks

"I want to retain the other software programs on the existing HD, "

From your first post, I don't think you own it or have any rights to it. Odd that the Admin did not remove it and/or format the HD, before giving it to you.

Well inspector morse, thats really not the case and your assertion is completely wrong.

I have a contractual package that included retaining my work issued laptop. As a remote worker that lives hours from thr closest office, the laptop hasn't been there since I was still an employee.
I expected that they would want to remotely change the set up, in the same way they always previously dealt with issues but this was never requested and a few months have passed.

The other non assuming responses have been most helpful and are much appreciated.

does the contract say anything about the other software?

if not then, as already stated, your only real option is a fresh install of Windows

yes, imo remove the old drive and replace with the new before install is the best way forward... the point being that worse case = put the old drive back in and you have not lost anything should it all go tits up

Those contracts don't ever include their licensed software. It's for the hardware and thats it. They can't include the software as it's registered to the company and not you as a former employee. Just clean install a copy of windows to it.

Those contracts don't ever include their licensed software. It's for the hardware and that's it. They can't include the software as it's registered to the company and not you as a former employee. Just clean install a copy of windows to it.
Hi and thanks.

They've asked that I send back the old HD once replaced with a new one.
I've now got the new one installed, however am stuck at what to do to get it up and running / configured from the boot menu forward.

Everytime I search for instructions online I've only managed to find instructions on how to install the physical HD, which I've already done.
Any pointers to a step by step instruction on how to do this would be much appreciated.

I'm happy to pay the price for Windows 10 and any other software, just don't know how to achieve this!

Ok if you acquire a windows install media dvd or usb. Talking you through installing will be a breeze.

Back
Top Bottom