Need Help formatting Linux HDD Using Windows Computer

awskop

I'm hoping someone in this community can help me with a hard drive problem. Recently, I replaced my old laptop (it ran a Linux/Ubuntu OS). Before getting rid of it, I removed the laptop's hard drive with the intent to repurpose it into a portable hard drive. I then encased it within a plug and play, SATA compatible enclosure. Here is my problem: I want to reformat this drive but every time I plug it into a Windows computer, the WC doesn't even read/register that anything is there/plugged in. When plugged in, the light on the drive turns on and I can hear it, so I don't think there is anything physically wrong with it. I started to think that perhaps the Linux Drive might not be compatible with the Windows computer. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Linux computer at the moment. Is there any way to format the LD using the WC? Step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated. In case it helps, I have posted images of the drive and the enclosure. Thanks!

Attachments

livix07

Since you cannot see the disk listed in File Explorer you need a third party software to format the external disk.
Download Gparted live-cd, write it onto a CD/USB and boot it while the external disk is connected to that computer.
This is a video tutorial on Gparted(there are more on YouTube):

Last edited:

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
If it's a EXT format you can install the ext driver for Windows Ext2Fsd Project otherwise you'll want to format from a live Linux disc

nmsuk

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Is the drive seen in disk management?

awskop

Is the drive seen in disk management?
no, the drive doesn't appear in disk management

nmsuk

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Ok then does it show in the bios at all?

nmsuk

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Tried a different USB port or enclosure?

awskop

Tried a different USB port or enclosure?
tried a different usb port but not another enclosure

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.