Need to run Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit but don't have administrator pw

Discussion in 'Windows Security' started by drkdvinity, Sep 7, 2014.

1. drkdvinity

drkdvinity New Member

Sep 7, 2014
    I purchased a computer that was used some years ago from a friends computer guy. It runs XP. I picked up a virus a week ago & called the computer guy but he's retired :( So, trying to resolve the issue myself I started searching for a resolution my self on the internet & came across a site called Techspot. They've been very helpful & definately seem to be knowledgeable. I've been following all the recommended steps in the removal of my problem(s), lol! But, I've come to a stuck point. I need to set a restore point & then download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to my desktop. But, he added a WARNING! That it needs to be run from an account with administrator rights. I am the sole owner/user of my computer but I don't have the administrator pass word. When I asked the computer guy about it he said the previous owner passed away & that he recieved the computer from the family & if he was ever given the pass word he no longer has it :( What can I do? Is there a way to find it on my computer or reset it, etc.? Can someone please help me?
  2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Aug 28, 2007