Windows 8 .NET Framework installation utility running at start up and not stopping

A little while back, my computer started telling me that over 60% of my CPU was being used up by something, even while nothing was running on my PC. I opened resource manager and it's the .NET Framework installation utility running and not doing anything but using up over half of my processor. I looked to see which file was causing this and its coming from RegSvcs. I don't know why it's doing this, or how it started. I left it running for over an hour and it doesn't open any windows, or install anything. It gets really annoying because it starts at start up and doesn't do anything but use up 60-70% of my CPU, and no, it's not because I have a really crappy processor. I have an Octa-core 3.35Ghz processor, so the fact that this is using up 60% of it, is really annoying. How do I stop this and prevent it from happening ever again?

Also this file is a Microsoft file and I can't uninstall it, because I apparently don't have permission to do it, even though i'm the only admin (and user) on my computer.

Regsvc.exe is Windows Remote Registry Service and is a process file of Microsoft.
Its purpose is to allow access to the registry of remote computers.
RegSvcs is a legit Microsoft process. BUT, it can also be a Trojan/malware in disguise.

I don't have enough experience in this subject matter. I can only offer suggestions :

1. To make sure it is not a malware, go to Safe Mode and run a full scan.
2. If your computer is a stand alone home pc, then you can safely disable it........Go to msconfig > Startup tab > UNcheck RegSvcs.exe.
3. I don't know if you need it at all. It can be deleted by......................
Regedit > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run > find regsvcs > if found, delete it.

Some of the .net configuration utilities will run in the background to set that utility up. Especially after some type of update. You might keep an eye on it for a while and see if it eventually slows down.

I don't think I would try to uninstall it, but there may be some type of problem which might depend on what software packages you have installed. I suppose if something is blocking part of the registration process, it could show something as you are seeing.

How exactly does it show up in Task Manager and how did you determine it was RegSvcs?

Anything in Event Viewer that might give more information?

Back
Top Bottom