Windows 7 Network installation with WinXP and Win7

Christian

I try to create a small network of PCs with Win XP and one with Win 7 I follow the guide network installation to end on XP but when the CD with Windows XP running on Win7 PC.: Error message occurs. "Network Setup Wizard could not be completed. An error occurred during configuration of the network on this computer"? Whatever that means?

Hope you can help

It probably means that you will likely have to install drivers for your network adapter(s) before you are able to successfully complete the "Network Setup Wizard"
Assuming that you have completed a successful install of the Operating System you need to determine the Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number and perhaps the Revision Number if applicable and go to the manufacturer's website and download the appropriate drivers for that adapter for your operating system.
Regards
Randy

Hi
Thanks for reply. I use DriverDetective to detect which drivers I need. My problem is getting access from Win7 to WinXP computer. I can see WinXP under network on Win7, but I am asked to use user/password which I dont know what is?

Hi
Thanks for reply. I use DriverDetective to detect which drivers I need. My problem is getting access from Win7 to WinXP computer. I can see WinXP under network on Win7, but I am asked to use user/password which I dont know what is?
Not sure that I am understanding correctly.
You have a Windows XP machine but you have no idea what the UserName and Password are for that machine?
or
You are getting an error when you enter what you believe to be the correct UserName and Password?
XP Pro or XP Home?

I think I know what user/password is, I have never used it before to logon?!! It is WinXP pro, SP3 and Win7 Pro. 64 bit, SP1. I can send screenshot by mail so you can see how it looks! I am a newbie into english computer-language!!!! mail.:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I know what user/password is, I have never used it before to logon?!! It is WinXP pro, SP3 and Win7 Pro. 64 bit, SP1. I can send screenshot by mail so you can see how it looks! I am a newbie into english computer-language!!!! mail.:
Please confirm that you do know what the UserName and Password are by simply logging off (not restarting) the XP machine and logging back on. And that you know the machine name.
Then when you are prompted on the Windows 7 machine for the credentials to log on to the XP machine use the appropriate format;
The machine name followed by a backslash (\) then the username for the XP machine and then the password for that user
XpMachineName\UserName
Password

Computername is Christia-7bb70b and username is AdministratorChristi, workgroup MSHOME and also have password. So I put the words together followed by backslash and logon from Win7 pc???

The format would be
Christia-7bb70b\AdministratorChristi
and then the password for AdministratorChristi
Although I would personally consider shortening and simplifying both and double check both computer's workgroup name I believe the Win7 defaults to WORKGROUP as a workgroup name doesn't really matter as long as both computers have the same workgroup name MSHOME or WORKGROUP are fine just need to be the same on both.
After successfully connecting you'll want to make sure that in all future instances if and when prompted you check the box to Remember credentials so you don't have to type that every time.

Seems that it would be more like a problem with something you were running on the XP machine rather than what you have installed on the Windows 7 machine since you are trying to access the XP Machine from the Windows 7 Machine. So double check that and I would strongly suggest using some like Microsoft Security Essentials on both machines. It is far more network friendly than other options.
Make sure you aren't using a blank password.
Also read this Error message when you try to access a Windows XP-based network computer: "You might not have permission to use this network resource"
Double check the work group names and confirm they are both the same. Double check date, time and regional settings (time zones) and make sure they are identical (sync them with internet time server time.windows.com).
Create a new user on the Windows XP machine identical (same username and password) as you are using on the Windows 7 machine, grant that user the appropriate permissions to the shares on the XP machine you are attempting to access (you don't need to logon to the XP machine as that user just make sure that it is an existing user account with the right permissions). Then log off and back on to the Windows 7 machine and see if you can get access to the share now.

Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Panda 2012?
That would be my choice, but ultimately it's up to you. I know MSE won't mess about with your network. Unfortunately I don't know anything about Panda.
Why don't you try it and see if it helps. IF not you can always put Panda back on.
If you do choose to uninstall it you will want to follow up with the vendor specific proprietary removal tool included in this list here http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/50402-removal-tools-antivirus-software-drivers.html to removal all remnants.
I am not here to argue the finer points and virtues of one product over another I am just trying to provide suggestions that may help you resolve your issue. Whether or not you decide to consider and use my suggestions is always up to you.
Regards
Randy

I have tried to uninstall Panda but it did not help. So it is not enough just to uninstall Panda, also use removal tool ? Would it not be much easier if I had Win7 on both machines? Perhaps I will get trouble with my Windows license??

Back