Windows 10 Network Shared Folder

BrutalMoose

I have 6 PCs, all with Windows 10, and I would like to be able to share files between all of them. Perhaps my Main PC could have a Network Shared Folder on it, and then I would leave the Main PC on, and all the PCs would be able to access this Network Shared Folder. What is the best way to set this up, and what are the best permissions and settings to have for it? Do I have to setup a workgroup? These are all work PCs. Thanks everyone.

I have 6 PCs, all with Windows 10, and I would like to be able to share files between all of them. Perhaps my Main PC could have a Network Shared Folder on it, and then I would leave the Main PC on, and all the PCs would be able to access this Network Shared Folder. What is the best way to set this up, and what are the best permissions and settings to have for it? Do I have to setup a workgroup? These are all work PCs. Thanks everyone.
It depends on whether you want the server (the computer on which the shared files are stored) to be accessed from outside the private network (LAN).
From a security point of view, the MINIMUM necessary permissions is the best.
Also, on a private network you don't really need encryption but rather transfer speed (encryption reduces transfer speed). On the other hand if the server is to be accessed from outside the private network then encryption should be implemented.

These files do not need to be accessed outside of the network, although that would be nice. You make a good suggestion of SSH SFTP FTPS at the end. Yes I am aware of the theories of network security & hardening, I just do not have the experience. Sigh, someday I will get good at this. I wish I had specific instructions for all the steps.

If you don't have a Windows Server as a file server/domain controller, they should all be on the same workgroup by default. These are limited to 20 concurrent connections.

Right-click the folder -> Properties -> Sharing -> Share...

Back
Top Bottom