deertroy1

I am a novice so please bear with me. I have a desktop running XP and a laptop running windows 7. I have them connected to the internet through a dlink router. I had them networked by reading how to's on the web. Everything worked as it should. Due to an unrelated problem I had to restore my XP computer (Acronis) to a point before I networked them. I therefore had to do the whole process again and I cannot get either computer to see one and other. As a last ditch resort I did a clean install of Windows 7 but still no luck. I have the windows firewall disabled on both machines. Anti virus disabled. The computer names are different and the workgroup names are the same. I have file shareing enabled on both machines and permissions set to everyone on the windows 7 machine. I deleted all my networks off of the windows 7 machine and tried to copy my wireless settings from the windows 7 laptop to a usb drive. When I due it tells me to inset a usb drive and hit next but when I insert the usb drive next remains greyed out. I tried a different usb drive but no luck. I originally was able to set this up in a coupe of evening but this time I have been trying different things for over a week and still no go. Any suggestions?

Solution
deertroy1:
Hello and welcome to the Windows 7 Forums.
First use the ipconfig utility from a command prompt. Click the Start Orb, All Programs, Accessories, right click Command Prompt and Choose "Run as Administrator" (the runas Admin is not something you need at this point, I just want to make sure you know how to do it for later)then at the blinking cursor type ipconfig /all make a note of the ip information regarding the particular adapter you are using on both machine (ip address will probably be private reserved something like 192.168.nnn.nnn) also make note of the machine name (listed at the top = Host Name) then from each machine check to see if you can ping the other by ip address and by hostname) let us know the results.
If the...
deertroy1:
Hello and welcome to the Windows 7 Forums.
First use the ipconfig utility from a command prompt. Click the Start Orb, All Programs, Accessories, right click Command Prompt and Choose "Run as Administrator" (the runas Admin is not something you need at this point, I just want to make sure you know how to do it for later)then at the blinking cursor type ipconfig /all make a note of the ip information regarding the particular adapter you are using on both machine (ip address will probably be private reserved something like 192.168.nnn.nnn) also make note of the machine name (listed at the top = Host Name) then from each machine check to see if you can ping the other by ip address and by hostname) let us know the results.
If the ping by ip succeeds and the ping by hostname fails try the following.
On both machine type ncpa.cpl in the run dialog box or the search box and hit enter. Select the network adapter (connection) you are using on that particular machine, right click it and choose properties. In the connection properties dialog box make sure that client for microsoft networks, File and Printer Sharing and Internet Protocol Version 4 are check (minimally) don't worry about anything else right now although you can unselect Internet Protocol Version 6 at this time if you like). Now highlight Version 4 and click the properties button. In the ipV4 properties dialog box click the advanced button, select the WINS tab at the top and then the radio button that says Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and OK your way back out of there.
Now launch the services console by typing services.msc into the search or run dialog box. Check the following and make sure they are started you may even want to set their start up type to automatic if you wish.
Computer Browser Service
DHCP Client
Function Discovery Resource Publication (Windows 7)
Server
SSDP Discovery (Windows 7)
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Workstation
See if any of that helps, you may want to restart to make sure any adjustments take effect. Keep us posted.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, if for some reason on the Windows 7 machine you have opted to join a home group. Leave it, use this article if you are not sure how.
LEAVE HOME GROUP

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you for youe reply.
The problem was on the XP machine. I ran a small program called Winsoc Fix and my network came in instantly.
Thanks again.

Congrats, glad you were able to resolve your issue. Thanks for posting back with the update. Hope to continue to see you around the forums.

Back