Windows 10 New 10 User with 3 issues

So you are getting GPOs on your system. These are just names, however system admins will generally name them for what they do, but they can really contain any settings. You would need access to the group policy editor and access to one of your work domain controllers to see what each policy is applying. I doubt the GPOs are causing the problem. I also tried running clipup -d and get the same message. According the the help though this is trying to generate a ticket based on a BIOS stored Windows product key. Not all systems, including mine do not store the key in BIOS so that is probably why this is generating an error. I also ran procmon and noticed that explorer.exe is accessing clipup.exe so that may be what is calling it on your system as well. Was this system originally on a different OS version? If so, it might be failing and reattempting creating a ticket because there could in fact be an embedded windows key but because it is not for Windows 10 it could be failing.

Interesting. So you get the error but not the temp files.

This came factory fresh with Windows 10 Pro ordered from Lenovo. If they updated from 7, it is not obvious to me. Not sure how I can tell.

Its and odd one.

Reading a thread now on a task that might be calling this. Will reply if it pans out to anything.

OK, if I change the name of System32/tasks/Microsoft/Windows/Clip/License Validation The temp files stop.

Now what can this break? :)

~Bob

Hey Bob! I think our friend has hit the sack. He probably has to work tomorrow.;)
@Neemobeer's knowledge always amazes me. I've been following your thread, but you all are way out my league.

Even though the licensing report passed. It might be worth trying to re-activate the license key. You can get your key with the following command in powershell
  • (Get-WmiObject -Query 'select * from SoftwarelicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey

• Then type slui 3 and enter your key

Hi all.

I am off to the Opening of the San Francisco Bay with camera and lenses in tow today. Likely not replying until tomorrow morning - just so you don't think I have disappeared.

My previous experience with Lenovo support has them almost on par with Comcast. I'll keep that for a last resort. But I will try the reactivation tomorrow.

~Bob

One more little comment! If you can't create a recovery drive with the files added, that's pretty serious. Registry searches cause crashes??
I would think that's very serious and the thing @Neemobeer is trying to solve, about and MS not recognizing the license would be serious as well, but see what the reactivation does tomorrow!
Good luck! I'll go back to just watching.;):beer_mug:

Thanks.

Retrieved the code and reactivated. Was successful. Temp files still created maybe even faster now :) True.

Pretty odd, eh?

Yup!! Try this!:rofl:
images

I can see you have posted exactly the same query, under different names and on other forum
BobUlius
emelpee (That one may not be you, but exactly the same query?)
windows10 etc..
There do not seem to have been any positive solutions.

Under the circumstances, perhaps the second post from Mike is your most expedient solution - a restore or reinstall??

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Some interesting problems to be sure. It would be helpful for us to know a couple of more things about your computer's enivonment.
1.) What is the exact model of the Lenovo you have? Is it a desktop PC or laptop?
2.) We could use full hardware/environment specs; if you don't have, please download free SPECCY diagnostic and post output text result back here.
3.) What version of Windows Server is being run by your Corporate Server? (i.e.: Windows Server RT2008).
4.) What BIOS version is your Lenovo at?

I don't know whether this will uncover anything different than you've already found, but we are operating without quite a bit of information about your computer environment. You mentioned several apps installed on your computer, and said you took weeks to install the rest; we would need ALL of them. SPECCY will help with that.

I have some other observations as well:
1.) Have you tried creating a LOCAL login to your Lenovo machine; in other words a non-Domain login. If you cannot do that, it's quite possible that the Domain controllers at your Office are causing 1 or more of these problems. If your IT department installed the W10 on your laptop for you, chances are very likely that they disabled this feature. (the LOCAL login). If this is the case, you are stuck reporting these issues to them and having them fix them. Since you've found them elsewhere online in other forums, it's likely that they will have to wait for Microsoft to resolve which could take months or even years. (that's not helping, I know). But the bottom line is here, your computer is essentially controlled by your Office, and not by you regardless of whether you own the Lenovo machine or they do. In either case, legally the ownership is theirs since it's on their Domain. You may not be aware of this. Case law is very specific about this. The fact that you are attempting to test W10 apps for your job or just for you does not mean that you can leave your IT out of the loop--you must involve them; else request to remove your laptop from their Domain, or if they own the Lenovo machine, give it back to them, buy your own W10 machine and test on that!

2.) If your Lenovo machine came from Lenovo with a Win10 Pro installed, chances are you cannot downgrade, you actually have to call and find out that from Lenovo support. Some machines can do it, others cannot. Next, if your IT department has not concluded testing on their Domain with W10, and you don't have permission to do so, in writing, this can be causing them serious problems! No offense, but, if the IT guys at your Office haven't asked you specifically to help them with W10 testing, this can be a violation of your corporate IT policy. It can crash their servers as well as their network, and you would face then the consequences of any such unauthorized action. You need to be aware.

3.) As far as the "Recovery Drive" goes, you should also look at Mike's suggestion of using a backup image software such as EASEUS, or Macrium Reflect that can create a backup dvd disk media as well as USB stick. Microsoft's USB Media Creation Tool (MCT) pretty much does not work, unless you have the right USB burning tool and the right machine. It took me 6 months to get one to work! DVD bootable discs are much easier to make. However, you can download the Microsoft W10 Pro ISO from Microsoft MCT page and that will work. But, for me I had to use the WiNTBootIC burning tool to get a working bootable USB stick. The real matter at hand will be, if you deploy this tool it will erase your hard drive and all your apps & configurations you've since installed on it. Even with a good Image Backup made using either EASEUS or MACRIUM, this is not a good idea, since your machine is essentially owned by your Office IT department. I would suggest rather, that if you own that machine, you physically REMOVE the factory Lenovo Hard Drive, purchase another new one of similar type and capacity, and then reinstall your W10; and test for the other 2 problems you encountered (Temp file creation, and the Registry Search failure). **THIS IS CRITICAL**; after your W10 PRO is reinstalled on this Test drive, make sure to create a local login (no Domain user account), and UNPLUG your Ethernet cable from your router or broadband modem or DISABLE YOUR WIRELESS adapter on your machine. Also, do NOT install all your apps; run the W10 Pro in a clean a state as you can get it-then retest for your other 2 issues. If the issues abate, that will tell you pretty much either your IT department is using deployed apps that could be causing your issues, or specific apps you are attempting to install and test in the W10 environment are causing. From this point, you should install 1 APP AT A TIME, RETEST FOR 2 ISSUES, then install next App; retest for issues; repeat. If you have say 30 apps previously installed on your factory Lenovo drive; after installing these same 30 Apps, you cannot reproduce either of the issues, chances are very good your IT department's Domain configuration is causing them. That being said, it certainly wouldn't be surprising if that occurred, since they haven't approved the W10 machine you are using on their Domain; or have they?

Having run several corporate IT department networks up to 5,000 computers in size, you have several questions you really need to answer for us here in order to help you further. I think the 2 questions we need answered right away are #1: Do you have written permission to attach a W10 machine to your Corporate Domain, Yes or No?, and #2: Who actually owns that Lenovo machine you say you are using for Beta testing of Apps on W10, you or your Office? Answers to these 2 questions will tell us much; but I suspect you are trying to resolve these issues on a Corporate network without the involvement of your IT department! o_O

In some companies this can get you banned from the Domain, as well as several other disciplinary measures, up to and including termination. I'm only mentioning this to provide you with knowledge that you could be doing something wrong and not be aware of it. Furthermore, if you are a Principal of this Business, or a Manager, or a Director, and your actions crash that corporate network, you may face civil legal action and even be financially responsible for any losses suffered from downtime of the corporate network or lost sales or services:eek:.

Thanks for listening,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I can see you have posted exactly bthesame query, under different names and on other forum
BobUlius
emelpee (That one may not be you, but exactly the same query?)
windows10 etc..
There do not seem to have been any positive solutions.

Under the circumstances, perhaps the second post from Mike is your most expedient solution - a restore or reinstall??

Hi Dave.

Yes indeed that is me. I thought I mentioned that I had posted elsewhere but very little help. I can almost quote what the first reply will be from Microsoft expressing they are sorry and try SFC.

You can see progress has been made here. It is clipup.exe which is being called and creating the temp files glut. And I am authenticated and validated. Why others do not have this I do not know. Maybe nobody looks in their temp files?

The other issues are reasonably well known, but it does not seem like Microsoft is SB is a 64 bit OS using a 32 bit VSS. One might think M'soft would be more anxious to fix this.

~Bob

Hi Bob,

Some interesting problems to be sure. It would be helpful for us to know a couple of more things about your computer's enivonment.
1.) What is the exact model of the Lenovo you have? Is it a desktop PC or laptop?
2.) We could use full hardware/environment specs; if you don't have, please download free SPECCY diagnostic and post output text result back here.
3.) What version of Windows Server is being run by your Corporate Server? (i.e.: Windows Server RT2008).
4.) What BIOS version is your Lenovo at?

Thanks for listening,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Wow! A lot to reply to. I will, but could be tonight.

For now, brand new Lenovo T460S Laptop, 12 GB RAM, SSD, etc. Will get more. Win 10 factory installed as Pro. No update, not installed by IT. IT ONLY got me on the domain, installed Office 2013 and that's about it.

I think Server 2008. Not sure I have an easy way to check. BUT, my problems are local here and shoul dnot be affected by their server version. The Recovery Drive and Search Registry crash happen to many people. The temp files from clipup.exe only me that I can find so far. I would always be amazed if I was the only one with an issue.

Back later. And thanks for your thoughtful post.

~Bob

OK. Just my pov.

It doesn't bother me a lot to install and setup my software. I don't have a huge amount. Possibly 3 or four hours for the whole kebang.. That I imo, is a little better than the time you have spent trying to sort out the problems.. The error you are encountering points to a corruption of system files. I would have thought a sfc /scannow might have been the first possible chance

You're welcome! Looking forward to more clarification and detail. You didn't quite answer the question of who paid for the laptop; you or the IT department? On checking your server environment, that's easy! You pickup the phone and call your IT department; they know exactly what they are running. It's a phone call. If your Office doesn't have an in-house IT department, they can provide you with a phone number to the company or individual (Computer or IT guy) that has the contract to take care of their network, and call and ask. It's not Rocket Science to find that out.:l: Troubleshooting Domain issues on Server 2008 or newer network servers is no small task.

Keep in mind that troubleshooting your issues can not be done by you especially on a dial-up or remote VPN connection with a Domain-configured laptop. You would have to drive the machine physically to your Office and plug into their network to test. That's why I suggested configuring a LOCAL LOGIN on your machine to test. If you can't create a LOCAL LOGIN on your computer, then you don't have the ability to control the computer, only your IT department does and they have to test for you or assist you with the testing!:ohno:

I'm not sure what the source of your vagueness is on who owns that Lenovo computer, or if you've never been remotely connected to a corporate Domain-based network before, but it's not helping us.

Looking forward to getting more info,
<<<BBJ>>>

Hi I'm going to add my 2 cents here and it might not be doable, but give it a look! Create a back up image of your OS. Always do that before making major chances to your PC. Then give the in-place Upgrade repair a shot. Shawn Brink is one of the best known techs in the PC world.
Shawn says this can be done and only the Windows up dates will be lost. Mike and I have done it and W10 runs better then it ever did!
If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Back