Windows 10 New 8TB Hard-drive only shows 1.99TB .

NettleWarbler

Honorable Member
Morning all , I bought a new 8TB Hard-drive online , I installed Windows 10 on it and it's only showing 1.99TB on my computer . I thought windows only showed 3TB as the largest size , but the bloke in the local computer shop said windows 10 had solved that problem . (Meaning I wouldn't have to change the format from MBR to GPT ) . He was wrong , I asked him how much his 3TB hard-drives were at first . He told me between ÂŁ120 to ÂŁ140 as computer equipment had recently gone up in price , I was expecting to pay about ÂŁ70 to ÂŁ80 for a 3TB drive . Is there anyway I can install windows 10 on the drive and keep most of the drive space , I know you don't get the full 8TB but most of it would be nice . Also if I had to format it to GPT will the programs all work just the same / Thank you . NettleWarbler .

MBR formatted discs have a limit of 2TB. The drive needs to be formatted as GPT and the file system needs to be ReFs or NTFS (more common) The format of the drive MBR vs GPT will have will make no difference as far as programs are concerned.

Evening all , could someone please tell me what I need to do next . That's what shows using EaseUS Partition Master 11.0 GPT like Photo 1, when I click convert MBR to GPT I get the error photo and its gone back to MBR like Photo 2 , also the line in the photo of the Disk I want to use is greyed out ,it also says Unallocated above where it says 7.28TB .

Attachments

• Photo 1.JPG
    Photo 1.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 954
  • Photo 2.JPG
    Photo 2.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,059
It could actually be some kind of problem with EaseUS Partition Master. Hard to tell. Make sure your SATA cable connections are securely fastened to the HDD.

No need to have cleared Windows 10 from the drive to do this.

Somebody at WindowsClub has an answer for you HERE:

The MBR2GPT Disk Conversion Tool in Windows 10 v1703

This may be your best bet in this regard.

(Also try AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition IMO)

Mike I cleared windows because I tried to erase the partition that was there , I wasn't worried about losing any data as there was nothing on .

Mornin Mike , I hav'nt tried again the hard-drive is no longer showing in my computer . I'v tried putting all sata and power cables in correct but still nothings showing , I burned a dvd last night and when it was done and I tried to watch a bit to make sure it was on ok . The Dvd writer wasn't showing ( That was immidiately after burning , so how did it burn it in the first place .)its still not this morning its only a couple of month old the writer . I will load windows on the 8TB drive if I can find it and try EaseUS Partition Master again later tonight .

evening Mike , I tried to put the old windows 10 version that was on before , I got 2TB or 5TB options . I tried 5 first could not install said something about cant do a partition here , then tried to install on the 2 TB option tried format no good . I could not install windows 10 , so tried repair PC . I tried to cancel repair PC and restart the install now when I try that USB drive I get an error message . File :\Boot\BCD\ error code :0xC00098 that's in recovery . When this happened 3 times I was thinking the hard-drive itself has maybe been made unusable with trying to wipe the data on it using EaseUS Partition Master the last time I had windows 10 installed . But I think the hard-drive is usable , because that's where I am now I installed a version of windows 7 on there .( the windows 7 version started I then went downstairs to wash my cup out all I got was a blank screen , I restarted the PC I was going to try the windows 10 USB when I got the end of the windows 7 install . How can that be , I even had the windows 10 USB in the slot ready to start . ) decided Maybe its the USB drive that wants reloading , I have another version of windows 10 on a USB drive and I will try to load that . But that will probably be tomorrow night now . Bye for now .

Morning Mike , I was going to try to convert to GPT , but I could not get online . I tried different versions of windows 10 they installed ok but I could not connect to the internet to get support from here . I kept getting the message Ethernet cable unplugged , or Ethernet not connected . ( I used to get a message when installing windows about connecting to the internet and I would pick my connection and put the password in , I didn't get that while the adapter was playing up . )I was going to get a Realtek PCIe GBE family controller driver version 9,1,406,2015 . That's what I wrote down , I checked the driver I said the latest version was installed . Can someone please advice me what i'd need to get online such as an adapter . I was going to try and get something at the local PC shop and all I could think of was the Realtek Adapter . I was going to try to get online this morning , I put the adapter in and tried it a couple of times it used to give a little green glow when online ,sometimes if I couldn't get online I used to wiggle it a bit or take it out and reinsert it and everything was ok . It worked on the final time , but I don't know if it will work next time .

I checked the new drive out im on here now , i thought i would try it while the adapter is working . i got insert security key like i used too . So i think it must be the Realtek Adapter . I hope the adapter holds out till tonight . Thank you .

I went on the 8TB drive watched a video on youtube about converting to GPT using EaseUS Partition Master , I right clicked selected delete partitions there was about 6 in all then apply then I had to reboot . Ever since then I just get reboot and select proper boot device , or summit like that . I havn't managed to get windows to load since the drive is showing in settings but it wont load , the old windows starts straight away but the new drive is not showing in my computer on here . I wonder if EaseUS has done something it shouldn't . In EaseUS it was showing GPT format so maybe it worked the other day , also 7TB was showing in my computer . If I hadn't tried to delete the partitions I might still have been on the new drive , Good night .

You'll need to change your boot mode from legacy to either hybrid if your other windows install is still MBR or UEFI, then boot into a recovery console and run bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /rebuildbcd

Neemobeer , I reinstalled windows 10 , I havn't installed EaseUS Partition Master yet so I don't know how many partitions if any there are . In my computer I get

Attachments

• 7.27 TB.PNG
    7.27 TB.PNG
    89.5 KB · Views: 661
If your device is set to boot legacy then the disk will be MBR style when Windows installs. You need to set boot to UEFI for the system to be formatted GPT

Back