New Features and Changes

What do you think of the website's overall performance in terms of speed and connectivity?

• Worse and Slow!?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Style changes: A bit of a throwback to our old look, we have re-instated the old background from our previous site design, while expanding the width of the site to be completely fluid to accompany the expansion of the site over time. It will look a bit different on each monitor, but should look well designed nonetheless.

I personally really enjoy this look, and for me the width makes it so much easier to look at and read.

New tabs: Some new opportunities for our members: RegistryBooster, Spyware Doctor, and our Forums Toolbar. This is to eliminate the need for so many notifications.

This is a very good idea

You are doing an awesome job and this place just continues to get better and better as time goes on.

I am glad to see the old background back. Pretty and totally functional!

I have posted (too) often regarding my views on any award system, so nothing there.
Mostly, the other items are not normally used by me so have no comments.(downloads: free software.etc)

I am glad to see the old background back. Pretty and totally functional!

I have posted (too) often regarding my views on any award system, so nothing there.
Mostly, the other items are not normally used by me so have no comments.(downloads: free software.etc)

Any suggestions you have, now is the time to list... :)

I personally really enjoy this look, and for me the width makes it so much easier to look at and read.

This is a very good idea

You are doing an awesome job and this place just continues to get better and better as time goes on.

I have to agree with Jarhead57, I really don't have anything to add.

Suggestion or two.. :)

Mike, let me start off by saying you're doing a superb job with the site!
I definitely think a better rewards system is in order.
Also, as listed above, a drop down system specs box.

Only other problem: I no longer have compatibility with Chrome.
The content of all posts is hidden. (V. 4 and 5 beta)

CHEERS! :D

Once again we have introduced some changes!
  • Style changes: A bit of a throwback to our old look, we have re-instated the old background from our previous site design, while expanding the width of the site to be completely fluid to accompany the expansion of the site over time. It will look a bit different on each monitor, but should look well designed nonetheless.
  • New tabs: Some new opportunities for our members: RegistryBooster, Spyware Doctor, and our Forums Toolbar. This is to eliminate the need for so many notifications.
  • Ad Changes: Some of the ads on the site have been made a bit bigger to fit in with the overall largeness of the site on wide-screens. Advertisements have been removed from inside the actual posts.
  • Content Management: Upgraded our CMPS (Content Management Portal System) to the latest version (still in beta).
  • Member Profile Fields: Added new profile fields to search on in the Memberlist.
  • Search Time Restriction: Find what you're looking for faster. Changed search time from 20 seconds to 2 seconds.
  • PM Character Limitation Lifted: Limit on private messages characters has been removed.
Now In planning:

Free Software Promo: We will probably be planning to offer our users a promotion for a program called SpeedUpMyPC, a new product from Uniblue. Uniblue's products are really good and they are helping us keep the site up and running with their products. Plus, if we can help some people fix their computer with their products, it only makes sense to offer these incentives. There will likely be a contest held for free licenses for the software. Contest details will be posted soon.

Awards/Leveling System: An idea on bringing back the awards/XP system is in the works. Although it will be hard to match our old (and now defunct) awards system, an attempt will be made to bring one back very soon. For those unfamiliar with this, an awards/point system calculates everything you do on the forum and gives out accolades for those achievements.

"Downloads" section may return as well, depending on how many people want it. We will conduct a poll.

Premium Member Perks: Premium Supporters will be given access to special downloads even if the Downloads section doesn't return despite any poll results.

Major Patch Scheduled: There will be a major code patch will effect all of the forum code expected February 4th or 5th. Please expect this as scheduled downtime. A notice is being posted on it.

Future Site Goals: From an administrative perspective, we are now focused on making the site as interesting and as usable as possible for our members again. This includes new features now that we know the server is stable and very accessible.

Custom Pages: Outside of blogs, custom pages may be introduced. What exactly will be on these pages, we're not sure. It will be something useful, undoubtedly so.

Certification Recognition: We need more IT pros to write in the blogs and Tweaks, Guides, and HOWTO's area to document their general expertise with Windows 7. We want to also recognize people who have Microsoft and CompTIA certifications, so if you have them, please e-mail or fax a copy of your certification to [email protected].

Feedback Accepted: We need honest feedback on what you want to see here. Besides asking and answering questions, we want to make the forums fun again. This can be in the form of games and other things that don't necessarily fit in with the Windows 7 theme. But we can add these things if there is a demand. Unlike many sites, feedback that is given here often times results in small to big changes on the site, sometimes within hours.

THIS WILL TAKE TIME!!! :p

Please note:
We want and depend on your feedback in all areas. This can include constructive criticism and new ideas. Do you have an idea for the site worth mentioning? Don't like something you see Let us know about it in this thread.

One very important area of feedback would be geared towards anyone who is using, or who can test for the site how it runs and looks on Internet Explorer 6. While we recommend you immediately upgrade to Internet Explorer 8, if you do not have Windows 7, some of you are still on IE6. That being said, if you notice any problems at all, or no problems at all, please make us aware.

Other areas of feedback we are looking for:
  • Are you getting the type of help from other people on the site? Is it from our moderator staff mostly, other people, or both?​

• Do you feel satisfied using the site? Why or why not?
  • Do you like or dislike the look of the site? What can be done better?
  • What feature or addition would you love to see on the site (within reason).
Anyone who responds to our feedback questions will be given extra reputation beyond normal for the assistance provided. Thanks and hope you genuinely like the new updates we are making.​

"Todays posts" as a top bar item, but I am aware, from previous posts, that you are working on that.
Only one comment on awards.etc. A "rank" system, similarly displayed as signatures/Avatars, could be helpful to those seeking help but, as I have said before, 1. Post counts only encourages useless comment and, 2. any other system of award, initiated from an op or other user, is too easily abused and worthless.

Finding my way around now, and would suggest that the old attachment system was simpler and superior, and also the new system for deleting/moving etc, PM's is far too complcated, the old system had all that anyone could need.

Later.. Also, is there a way to remove the old attachment pictures, from within the attachment window?

Last edited:
seems to be a problem with your email

That is a very interesting observation, icky. I have had this problem, whenever I have had a reason to email the Admin in the past. I commented to a couple of moderators in the past and feeback was that it as OK. I wonder if it is not a curious problem with some of the ISP's?

Now I am finding, on every third or so post, I am getting this message:

The following errors occurred with your submission
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

This is my fourth attempt to post this, for example.

I think all the changes so far have been positive.

I also noticed the new Thank you button and as you type spell-checker and like the wide-screen view.

For the Remove Spyware link, I think if you contacted PC Tools and stated it was a permanent feature on the site, they may give members a discounted price.

I believe you would contact the Affiliate link here:
PC Tools - Contact Us

One strange anomaly with one of my posts............

It seems to be left in a void with nowhere to go and it states Printable view under the title.

Check it out here:
http://windows7forums.com/security-zone/35934-eff-demonstrates-browsers-finger-print-print.html

All I can say is keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Now I am finding, on every third or so post, I am getting this message:

The following errors occurred with your submission
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

This is my fourth attempt to post this, for example.

I have seen the above message myself but only once..

Once again we have introduced some changes!
  • Style changes: A bit of a throwback to our old look, we have re-instated the old background from our previous site design, while expanding the width of the site to be completely fluid to accompany the expansion of the site over time. It will look a bit different on each monitor, but should look well designed nonetheless.
  • New tabs: Some new opportunities for our members: RegistryBooster, Spyware Doctor, and our Forums Toolbar. This is to eliminate the need for so many notifications.
  • Ad Changes: Some of the ads on the site have been made a bit bigger to fit in with the overall largeness of the site on wide-screens. Advertisements have been removed from inside the actual posts.
  • Content Management: Upgraded our CMPS (Content Management Portal System) to the latest version (still in beta).
  • Member Profile Fields: Added new profile fields to search on in the Memberlist.
  • Search Time Restriction: Find what you're looking for faster. Changed search time from 20 seconds to 2 seconds.
  • PM Character Limitation Lifted: Limit on private messages characters has been removed.
Now In planning:

Free Software Promo: We will probably be planning to offer our users a promotion for a program called SpeedUpMyPC, a new product from Uniblue. Uniblue's products are really good and they are helping us keep the site up and running with their products. Plus, if we can help some people fix their computer with their products, it only makes sense to offer these incentives. There will likely be a contest held for free licenses for the software. Contest details will be posted soon.

Awards/Leveling System: An idea on bringing back the awards/XP system is in the works. Although it will be hard to match our old (and now defunct) awards system, an attempt will be made to bring one back very soon. For those unfamiliar with this, an awards/point system calculates everything you do on the forum and gives out accolades for those achievements.

"Downloads" section may return as well, depending on how many people want it. We will conduct a poll.

Premium Member Perks: Premium Supporters will be given access to special downloads even if the Downloads section doesn't return despite any poll results.

Major Patch Scheduled: There will be a major code patch will effect all of the forum code expected February 4th or 5th. Please expect this as scheduled downtime. A notice is being posted on it.

Future Site Goals: From an administrative perspective, we are now focused on making the site as interesting and as usable as possible for our members again. This includes new features now that we know the server is stable and very accessible.

Custom Pages: Outside of blogs, custom pages may be introduced. What exactly will be on these pages, we're not sure. It will be something useful, undoubtedly so.

Certification Recognition: We need more IT pros to write in the blogs and Tweaks, Guides, and HOWTO's area to document their general expertise with Windows 7. We want to also recognize people who have Microsoft and CompTIA certifications, so if you have them, please e-mail or fax a copy of your certification to [email protected].

Feedback Accepted: We need honest feedback on what you want to see here. Besides asking and answering questions, we want to make the forums fun again. This can be in the form of games and other things that don't necessarily fit in with the Windows 7 theme. But we can add these things if there is a demand. Unlike many sites, feedback that is given here often times results in small to big changes on the site, sometimes within hours.

THIS WILL TAKE TIME!!! :p

Please note:
We want and depend on your feedback in all areas. This can include constructive criticism and new ideas. Do you have an idea for the site worth mentioning? Don't like something you see Let us know about it in this thread.

One very important area of feedback would be geared towards anyone who is using, or who can test for the site how it runs and looks on Internet Explorer 6. While we recommend you immediately upgrade to Internet Explorer 8, if you do not have Windows 7, some of you are still on IE6. That being said, if you notice any problems at all, or no problems at all, please make us aware.

Other areas of feedback we are looking for:
  • Are you getting the type of help from other people on the site? Is it from our moderator staff mostly, other people, or both?​
  • Do you feel satisfied using the site? Why or why not?
  • Do you like or dislike the look of the site? What can be done better?
  • What feature or addition would you love to see on the site (within reason).
Anyone who responds to our feedback questions will be given extra reputation beyond normal for the assistance provided. Thanks and hope you genuinely like the new updates we are making.​

In my opinion, all in all, this is a great site. There are a large number of people using it, and most of the posts are responded to in a reasonable amount of time.

If I were to make any suggestions, I would try to improve the "SEARCH" function. Sometimes when I search the forums, too many unrelated posts are sent back, some of them having nothing to do with the requested search.

The updates you are making sound great. Keep up the good work. This is a great forum.

Agreed.

This forum is a huge store of information, some of which we repeat on a regular basis, if we could come up with a easy way of searching the forum archives I think it would be a huge hit. This new fangled search though would have to be something else, something that perhaps we haven't seen before? Who knows.. I'm not sure if it's even possible to do something like that but I guess one can 'pipedream'.

I have seen the above message myself but only once..
I have, during my last two psts, been extra careful, but still got the message in one of the submits. I wonder if it is a particular key combination, or somehow connected with attachments?

Later. Ok. I have spotted my mistake! It is possible to start writing in the reply window (I don't think you could do this accidently in the old format) If you do, it is not recorded and you get that message that it is too short. You must select (I think) post quick reply and reply to this thread

Last edited:
I see... If you write in the box below a post before hitting reply it won't see it and think your trying to post nothing.

First I must say I like most of the new changes. Secondly; my PC has been down for almost 3 months, when I got my new rig built, up and running and returned to this site, it was culture shock for me. Like I just joined the site for the first time. I cant really remember much from the old site format. I really like what was done in the reply to posts fields, clean and modern with nice icon package. I give it an A overall.

I think all the changes so far have been positive.

I also noticed the new Thank you button and as you type spell-checker and like the wide-screen view.

For the Remove Spyware link, I think if you contacted PC Tools and stated it was a permanent feature on the site, they may give members a discounted price.

I believe you would contact the Affiliate link here:
PC Tools - Contact Us

One strange anomaly with one of my posts............

It seems to be left in a void with nowhere to go and it states Printable view under the title.

Check it out here:
http://windows7forums.com/security-zone/35934-eff-demonstrates-browsers-finger-print-print.html

All I can say is keep up the good work.

This is an old and well known bug... its because print is at the end of the name. I'll look into it.

Is the private message system working ?

how do i check if my message has been successful and been sent ?

heya well I got this private message from you RAK
RAK said:
Hi.
I would also like to see if my message has been sent!
It was also a fault with the old format.
Anyway, if you get this, post in the site update section that it is working.

I have also sent two private messages to Mike but I have no idea if they have been sent successfully and nowhere to check if they worked :eek:

Email to admin still getting refused as non existent :(

Back