Windows 8 New file copy features in Windows 8

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
This is all over the Web today.
My concern is that while it really does look like a really nice user interface with rich features and functionality, is it actually faster.
When moving files about from one place to another in explorer, it was never much of a concern what it looked like while it was happening. My concern was and is, how long it takes and that doesn't seemed to be mentioned much in the Blog.
Sure now I'll have a single interface rather than multiple dialog boxes, where I can pause and resume the process and even watch it in a new process graph style format as to how it's progressing. But it has always seemed to me that "sometimes" and I don't know why, the built in file, copy or move process has been very slow, better now than earlier in Windows 7 and Vista certainly but still often times slow. That's why I and many other Windows users have resorted to third party solutions like TerraCopy to acomplish basically the same thing.
Can't wait to get my hands on this OS to try some of these new features.
Regards
Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Randy. I was tempted and did try the latest leak. I was unimpressed by the so-called hidden" features, which, in my low pessimistic opinion, could have been succesfully added to Windows 7. I would not care to benchmark the OS, with sophicated timing, but could not discern, on mere observation, any mind shattering improvements in performance.
I have stated on another forum that, imho, Windows 8 is effectively a Microsoft sales "sleight of hand" trick. It is not a successor to Windows 7 - it is an alternative OS, aimed at, mostly, handhelds. It has been brought on by the threatened competition from Ipods and the like.
I have, probably like yourself, a huge collection of tricks and hints, for Vista/Windows7. I have slowly worked through them and found they were all effective in Windows 8. This puts me in a personal quandary. My major interest, in retirement, is roaming the forums and offering help when I am able. This was, I am sorry to say, becoming repetitive and, therefore, somewhat boring. It looks like there will be nothing more to add to that view, with the release of Windows 8. I am in the fortunate position of being able to thoroughly examine it and test it (legally), with extra cost. Should I have to buy it from a retail source, however, I would end up sorely disappointed.

I am not having any real problems with Move: copy etc, so cannot comment on your concern regarding those features.

Hey Dave;
Thanks for the response.
I've likewise sometimes been a little critical of Microsoft's new offerings in that it often seems like the interface experience is more of a where did they hide that and what do they call it now (taskbar vs. superbar, system tray vs. notification area), while under the hood I'm still addressing the same registry keys in the same old familiar places and tweaking system policies in much the same way as in previous OSs.
But I'm still holding out hope and admit to a certain level of excitement regarding the new OS but it does seem to be leaning more towards tablets /laptop convertibles, and hand helds with the emphasis on touch screens.
I guess we'll have to wait and see. It's Bill's and Steve's sandbox and I'm just here to get a little playing time in.
Regards
Randy

LOL. I will never be seen to criticise Bill. But for him, way back there in the Digital Dos era, I would not be sitting here writing some waffle right now!!!

Back