Windows 7 New HDD Problem

tcm5025

I just installed a new internal HDD.

First, I created a system image using windows backup.
Then I made a windows recovery disk on CD.
Next I took out the old HDD, and replaced it with the new one.
The new one is hooked up to a different port with a different wire because it is a sata 6.0 gb/s and the old one was 3.0 gb/s. I got a wire meant for sata 6.0 and my motherboard supports it.
I made sure the HDD was being detected by the bios and then I booted from the recovery disk.
The recovery disk allowed me to restore my image from the external HDD to the new internal HDD.
I started it up to make sure it would load the OS.
Then I shut it down, and installed the original HDD again the way it was.
I entered bios and set the computer to boot from the new HDD.
The computer boots and loads windows, but when I go to my computer...
It shows one HDD and the capacity it's showing is that of the old one.
If I check under devices or hardware or anywhere, it always shows both disks. I know that it is running off of the new drive, because I can disable the old drive if I choose to through a control menu.
I don't know how I can get Windows to properly show that it is booting from the new HDD, and it won't show that there are two.
Additionally, programs are crashing a lot now and it froze up once.
I tried to boot from the old HDD, and it just keeps restarting when I try.
Help?

It's Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Version 6.1.7600.

Go in the bios and set it to boot from the new HDD. I know you said you did, but if only the old HDD is showing in Windows, there's still something causing it to boot from that HDD.

Save bios settings after any change.

The run a Startup Repair, up to 3 times consecutively, by booting to the Windows 7 DVD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

Once in Windows, then add the other old HDD using Disk Management. Assign it a drive letter.

Last edited:
I really appreciate the quick advice. I am fairly sure that it was booting from the new HDD. I checked again and it was definitely at the top of the boot order. I tried selecting the hard drive manually from the boot list again too and it booted up into windows and showed the same issue.
So, I followed your instructions for the startup repair. It said that there was nothing wrong with the OS on the new HDD, it had to recover the OS on the old HDD though and then it tried to repair it and failed. I don't know why there would be a problem with the old HDD all of a sudden. I didn't do anything to change it.
Next, I disconnected the old HDD and tried to boot from the new one again then since it said there was nothing wrong with it, and it got stuck while loading the OS now. So I restarted and booted from the CD again and ran startup repair. It recognized that the OS failed to start, and this time it found something wrong and has been attempting repairs for like 15 minutes now. I'm not sure if it's going to ever finish attempting repairs now...

It finally stopped attempting repairs and said it cannot repair this computer automatically. I guess I should try it again a couple more times...?
Edit: It just failed instantly two more times when I tried startup repair again without restarting. Am restarting now and trying startup repair again.

If you don't have any luck with that, remove the new drive. Then run Startup Repair to get the old drive booting and well.

Then clone the old drive to new drive with Clonezilla.

Unfortunately, it seems that both of my drives are unrepairable by startup repair now. I have no idea why the old drive is having problems now. I didn't change anything on it. I'm kind of worried that I'm going to lose everything. I really hope there's nothing wrong with that image on my external HDD.

The easiest thing for you to do is to clean install Windows to the new hdd while formatting, while the old drive is out.

When done installing and Windows is up, power off the machine and re-attach old drive.

So, the OS on the new HDD decided to start working again apparently. Hopefully it continues to. I was able to repartition it to the whole drive through disk management. Mapped the other drive then as well. So, all that is solved now. Hopefully the OS just keeps working properly and doesn't crash anymore now.

Back
Top Bottom